Sign in to follow this  
captou

Aliasing shown when not in fullscreen (YouTube, Vimeo) for FZ1000 footage

Hi,

I was just looking at sample videos from the FZ1000 and noticed a weird aliasing effect when viewing the videos in a small window (not full screen) in HD. Either it's me and I'm going crazy or you can see it too.

This is a random sample video I found - watch in HD and look at the cables and especially the trees!:

Or here - play in this window and change to HD or 4K:

While it might be somewhat nonsensical to play a video in HD in a tiny window, the effect still struck me as pretty weird! I noticed because I changed the videos to HD before going full screen. Especially for the vimeo video, the effect is very visible and I imagine a lot of people don't go fullscreen on every single video they watch.

I haven't tried for footage from other cameras and perhaps this is a well-known effect and I just haven't noticed so far?? I do know a little about aliasing/moire and how some cameras are worse than others. But this isn't to do with the camera, right (as the effect goes away when you adjust the size of the window). Is this to do with the compression? 

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If you want to have a proper image you have to set the quality to 1080p and go full screen on a 1080p monitor, otherwise the 1080 video will have to be shown in a window of the screen that's has less than 1080p pixels. Squeezing a 1080p image to something smaller by Windows and/or youtub/vimeo produces all sorts of issues. Not the camera's fault it's the downscaling algorithm. 

Crude downscaling from such a high resolution 4K image to a postage stamp sized frame is going to do that. Inescapable. Not the fault of the camera. Get a 4K monitor. They're cheap now.

You can minimise it by downscaling to 1080p in the edit before uploading to YouTube or Vimeo. Really helps.

These websites aren't designed to downscale as gracefully.

Thanks everyone!

I worry if that means lots of people see footage like that though. I suppose it's their own fault if they do - as long as it doesn't put them off from watching...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Stathman
      Hi!
      I would like to buy a VAF filter for my 70D.
      EU countries please to avoid import duties.
      Thanks.
    • By ikola
      For sale a like new VAF50D mosaic engineering anti aliasing flter, make an offer please!
      New import from USA to France is 350e with import taxes, crazy expensive but so important for having a perfect picture when RAW recording with the 50D, and the difference is clearly noticeable, you can have it right now for way less, international shipping, just dare give an offer and i'll let you know
      Thank you.
    • By ikola
      FS (for sale) VAF-50D Mosaic Engineering anti aliasing and moire filter for CANON 50D

220e / 250usd free shipping from France, paypal payment.

send me private message if possible.
    • By Marco
      This is a frame taken by my Sony A7s with PP4 25p Full frame
      Take a look at the tie. The picture speaks for itself.
      I thought that the A7s didn't have aliasing and moire, at least not in FF 25p mode!

• By black
      Is there a full frame DSLR out there, that has no or at least a usable amount of moiré and aliasing in video mode. I can't decide in between a Nikon D7100 and a D600 which I am currently testing. Wait, that's not entirely true, I have, kind of, decided already because I love the picture that the D600 renders with my old 1980’s - 90’s AF (no D no nothing) Nikkors, I love the minimal DOF, I love the latitude, I love the vignette that some of my lenses make on the D600 (the D7100 does none of that with my lenses). But the moiré and aliasing on D600 is in my opinion simply atrocious compared to the D7100, which has some but it’s bearable for me. The shadow noise banding on the D7100 on the other hand, even on low ISO settings, kept me awake working for some nights to try to soften this flaw in post, (and it didn’t really worked out BTW).

So, my options I think are, if I want full frame (shallow DOF, lens compatibility etc.) and the least amount of moiré and aliasing: the D800 with the mosaic engineering thingy or a D5 Mark III with a lens adapter or what else?
      Suggestions?
      Anybody?