The dilema of being a Nikon Z6 shooter in 2023

FHDcrew

4 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

But otherwise good call I think to invest in what you have. Becoming ultra-familiar with not just your tools, but your entire workflow is very important.

Yep because just investing in the system I already have gives me the least obstacles standing in the way of investments (lenses) that will give me more creative possibilities. Also interesting about people preferring the image from the Z6 and Z7. I assume the Z6 external 10 bit is competitive with the Z8/Z9 internal 10 bit, because both have an identical log curve which is quite good with DR from my own experience, though I’ve heard there is potential for a better curve that squeezed in more DR. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I also agree with @mercer about building a collection of MF vintage primes, and to get as fast a set as you can, but if you're really budget constrained then just focus on what focal lengths you'd need/use.  You should also consider the 'worse' budget lenses - the more I looked into vintage lenses the more that it's the imperfections that give the image its feel, and the more I ran across people discovering budget lenses.

Take this for example, a recent 'discovery':

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

If it’s any ‘consolation’, quite a few trying out Z8 and Z9, say they prefer the image out of the Z6 and Z7…

Probably/maybe due to the bigger boys only having an e:shutter?

Are you talking about stills? Because the e-shutter has no incidence for video and the Z8/Z9 stacked sensor will only give you less RS. Not to mention the other benefits like RAW/ProRes/8K.

ok I don't think it was 100% clear to me or OP that you strictly meant stills. Yeah removing the mech shutter seems to be a growing trend which I think is a tad premature at this point. RS is still a thing and I personally like the haptic feedback. Other than that I don't see what could be worse on Z8/Z9 IQ-wise as it has the exact same resolution, ISO sensitivity, RAW specs and DR than Z7ii. 

Come to think of it its actually kind of a mystery what a Z7iii would now be. I guess a higher MP stills like Sony A7RV but still regular fps performance and maybe 6K max 10-bit no RAW or something.