Camera upgrade advice

insch

I have a GH5 and A7SMKII (the latter converted to infrared). I am looking for a clear upgrade for the GH5, specifically a camera that can shoot 4K well at 100 or 120 fps. I use my cameras experimentally a lot, including quite a bit of macro. My budget is up to 5K UKP. I had thought about an A7SMKIII but wondered what else was out there these days and the advantages and disadvantages of them.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
On 5/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, insch said:

I have a GH5 and A7SMKII (the latter converted to infrared). I am looking for a clear upgrade for the GH5, specifically a camera that can shoot 4K well at 100 or 120 fps. I use my cameras experimentally a lot, including quite a bit of macro. My budget is up to 5K UKP. I had thought about an A7SMKIII but wondered what else was out there these days and the advantages and disadvantages of them.

Thank you

I think a possible contender might have dropped into your lap yesterday with the release of the Z8.

As well as the headline 8K it also does the 4K120 that you need and all internal RAW to boot.

Native Z mount macro lenses are a bit thin on the ground but the Z mount itself is the shallowest depth full frame mount so can have any macro lens that you currently have adapted to it.

As you are already invested in E-mount then the Megadap adapter will let you use those lenses with full AF control.

Price wise its well under your budget too.

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think a possible contender might have dropped into your lap yesterday with the release of the Z8.

As well as the headline 8K it also does the 4K120 that you need and all internal RAW to boot.

Native Z mount macro lenses are a bit thin on the ground but the Z mount itself is the shallowest depth full frame mount so can have any macro lens that you currently have adapted to it.

As you are already invested in E-mount then the Megadap adapter will let you use those lenses with full AF control.

Price wise its well under your budget too.

Unfortunately, the Z8 andvZ9 crop 2.3X when shooting 4K 120p. The a7s iii (fx3) does not crop significantly at all in 4K 120p.

30 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Unfortunately, the Z8 andvZ9 crop 2.3X when shooting 4K 120p. The a7s iii (fx3) does not crop significantly at all in 4K 120p.

you sure about that? its my understanding there is a 2.3X crop only when shooting 4K120p in N-RAW as its 1:1 but h265 offers a binned no crop 4K120p. at least that's according to dpreview.. who yes have an actual Z8 review despite being officially deceased, strange times: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z8-initial-review

54 minutes ago, Django said:

you sure about that? its my understanding there is a 2.3X crop only when shooting 4K120p in N-RAW as its 1:1 but h265 offers a binned no crop 4K120p. at least that's according to dpreview.. who yes have an actual Z8 review despite being officially deceased, strange times: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z8-initial-review

Thanks, you are correct, only crop in NRAW. But binned in H265.

The a7s iii (fx3) is not significantly cropped or binned for 4K 120p, right?