Which phone is best to film 8K video?

Chxfgb

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

We had this topic in 2015 about 4K. Very similar responses i.e. anti-4K. I used a 4K Oppo phone before I got a GH4. Terrible dynamic range and I didn't attempt anything other than bright daylight. Had to go back and re-shoot the videos with the GH4.

The raw 4K sounds interesting. I shall look that up. Maybe there is a way to do raw 6K or 8K too? Apparently my Xiaomi upscales 6K to 8K anyway.

Either way, I will be filming on my A6400 in 4K this time (attached to the phone), as I am not relying on phone video. I am just open to it for the sake of having some 8K footage.

Maybe we will be back here in 2030 regarding 16K phones. 😉

3 hours ago, Chxfgb said:

We had this topic in 2015 about 4K. Very similar responses i.e. anti-4K.

Well, I'm not anti-8K. But the 8K on the S23 is so bad (barely any better than the awful 4K output) that motion cam's 4K cDNG runs circles around it.

You can process the RAW output to 4K H264 in Rec709 and it will look many times better than anything else ever shot on a phone still, or import cDNG into Resolve and go even further, do HDR in ACES e.g. 

4 hours ago, deezid said:

Well, I'm not anti-8K. But the 8K on the S23 is so bad (barely any better than the awful 4K output) that motion cam's 4K cDNG runs circles around it.

You can process the RAW output to 4K H264 in Rec709 and it will look many times better than anything else ever shot on a phone still, or import cDNG into Resolve and go even further, do HDR in ACES e.g. 

Good to hear your opinion is from experience. Sometimes it just seems that people are assuming phones will be worse. Definitely taking what you said onboard.👍

42 minutes ago, Chxfgb said:

.. Sometimes it just seems that people are assuming phones will be worse. Definitely taking what you said onboard..

"Sometimes it seems that..." 🙂

No one here assumed that raw video via motion app would be worse. Worse than what anyway? Take deezids comment onboard for sure. It is a great comment.

All that content is hurting our planet big time, electric power, fuel, materials all wasted for more and more shitty content. 8k is power hungry, devices are energy hungry and greedy for natural resources. Production is greedy as fuck for energy and natural resoures. All that mass mobile 4K, 8k acquisition and distribution plus storage, devices for that, all that is leaving a foot stomp on our only planet.

Mass production and consumption of garbage will ruin our planet, the capitalist attitude and consumer behaviour even moreso.

Not against your search for image quality. But my two cents without judging you!

4K raw will look stellar on your 4k TV. 8K TVs are not even legally produced at the moment for the European market anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:57 PM, deezid said:

Get an Android phone that supports motion cam.
Shoot 4K cDNG and upscale in post.

The S23 actually does an incredible job with motion cam.

Will look at least 10x better than any garbage like 4K and 8K phone video, iPhone ProRes included.

Just got the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro. The 8K video on the default camera app is complete junk. Not worth showing a sample, it is useless in several ways. 

But installing Motion Cam Raw Pro allows me to record very good looking 6K video (not looked on a big screen yet but it looks 100 times beter than the default app's 8K). I am very tempted to get a newer phone model so I can do 8K raw video as that app totally saves the day.

Can anyone confirm if Motion Cam Raw Pro can do 8K on phones that do 8K video? Even though my phone does "8K video", it's actually upscaled 6K, hence Motion Cam Raw only doing 6K. 

39 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'm afraid not, but give OnePlus 9 Pro a try ;- )

Motioncam can only do 8k on the ZenFone 6, apparently. That's what the developer says on his Discord. But he also said it is bad quality. Might just leave it and wait until I can afford a Fuji XH2.

8 hours ago, Chxfgb said:

Motioncam can only do 8k on the ZenFone 6, apparently. That's what the developer says on his Discord. But he also said it is bad quality. Might just leave it and wait until I can afford a Fuji XH2.

I have a couple of units of the Zenfone 7 Pro but never tried.

If it is the developer to label it himself as bad, what can we users add in behalf of the discussion? ; )

For sure a Fujifilm is a better bet than anything else on mobile phone side as of March of 2023... Apples to oranges :- )

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I have a couple of units of the Zenfone 7 Pro but never tried.

If it is the developer to label it himself as bad, what can we users add in behalf of the discussion? ; )

I am curious now, thanks for the tip @Chxfgb : ) Can you link it where this has been written?

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I am curious now, thanks for the tip @Chxfgb : ) Can you link it where this has been written?

On their Discord. He said this: "if i remeber well, Asus Zenfone 6 had exposed the 8k resolution native".

Then he brought up the old LG V35 and said that would be better with it's 16MP sensor, doing 4K raw.

I will probably just stick with my 6K phone doing motioncam raw and upscale to 8k, as it sounds like the ZenFone 6 may not be very good. I will see how much they cost. But he seemed to agree that sticking with the 108MP sensor in my Xiaomi would be best. Maybe the ZenFone is weaker and skips frames or something. 

He also said: "As said before if you want the most details capture in daylight use an LG V35 w 256gb version. That sensor and optics mix gives the most definition i had ever seen in a smartphone.

Again 1 minute of 8k more then 40GB (plus is more sensitive in terms of capturing, easily you can get frame drops)

On newer phones i am sure this wont be an issue."

BTW LG V phones are great for audiophiles like me, who use wired earphones. Much better sound quality than other phones as they have a built in AMP DAC. 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:30 PM, deezid said:

The regular S23 4K cDNG in Motioncam blew me away. Looks better than anything than I've ever seen from any phone, crappy and heavily processed "8K" phone included.

Yeah, it's amazing the difference that app makes. But the developer and others acknowledge the limited glass on the phones. Maybe someone will bring out a more affordable version of the Xiaomi Leica concept phone where you can use Leica lenses with their latest flagship. Would love that with Fuji or Sony APSC mount or even M43.

Obviously ergonomically bad, but these devices are little powerhouses that could be very useful with decent lenses. If using a tripod the ergonomics don't matter too much and they have great screens. Would be awesome to be able to pick up something like this used after it has been out 2 years for the fraction of the price of a Fuji XH2.

202211020819221616.jpg.ccbb7b1c536fa94b58408dbc3cd696b1.jpg