DSLR vs camcorder for video?

drkessence

I'm sure someone has asked about this before, but I'll do so again for my specific situation.

I'm looking to get a camera to start doing live action in my youtube videos (I'm contracted with Maker Studios).  I was originally just going to get a camcorder, but after looking into some of the people I use for inspiration, I found that they all use DSLR cameras.  It seems to be becoming a trend on YT, actually.  Anyways, that now leaves me with wondering what I should do.  Looking into different tests, it looks like the DSLRs in my budget range have much better quality.  I'm aware of all of the downsides and perks of each.  I'd like to not spend much more than about $250 on the camera since I'd also like to pick up some lights, and, depending on what I get, I might need a mic.  I'm not trying to go super pro as I'll definitely be upgrading later in the future as my channel (and ad revenue) grow, but I want to make sure I still have great quality picture.

I've put together a list of all the pros and cons for me, personally, but I still can't come to a decision:

DSLR:

Pros - More manual control (I've had tons of photo and film education in college so no learning problems here), better looking picture for my price range, can also use for photos, love that DOF, can upgrade to a new and better camera down the road and not need new lenses and peripherals.

Cons - Gonna need a lens which will pretty much max out my budget and leave nothing left for other stuff, bad internal mic (I have a blue yeti that I'll be using for the part, but I'd be restricted to indoors filming as it's USB), not good for action (though there would be little to no action), low recording times (but not particularly a problem as the footage will be heavily edited so there'll be lots of short recordings)

Camcorder:

Pros - Cheaper than the DSLR, can plug in external mic, probably better quality standard mic, longer recording times (but, again, not really a concern)

Cons - Not as good picture quality, little manual control, would be exclusively for video

The DSLR I'm looking at is the T1i (browsing on both Amazon and eBay) which I can get anywhere from $250-$300 used.  And the camcorder I'm looking at is the Canon Vixia HF R400 which I can get manufacturer refurbished for about $200.  

While I'm not TOO concerned about audio since there's plenty of work-arounds (ive seen tutorials for modding the t1i to have a mic jack), it'd be nice not to worry about it.  But my biggest concern in the picture and price.  I love the thought of having plenty left over to get the extras I want, but I don't want to skimp on picture quality.  But I also don't want to get a nice camera only to have a horribly lit scene or horrible audio lol

I feel like the DSLR would be the best choice, but the concern about audio restricting my recording locals and lack of remaining funds is mostly what's keeping me from getting it.  That or I'm just having early buyers remorse XD I've always had problems with making large purchases lol

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm looking to get a camera to start doing live action 

To further what varicam said...

"live action"  Camcorders, with their smaller chips and mature technology will autofocus better than any DSLR you can afford now.  The shallow DOF quality you can get with DSLR's is a double-edged sword.  Great if it works, useless footage (out of focus) if it doesn't.  It sounds like you have a lot of things to get together, content, audio, lighting, format, etc.  You should KISS here (keep it simple stupid) :)  

"live action"  Camcorders, with their smaller chips and mature technology will autofocus better than any DSLR you can afford now.  

I'm not too worried about autofocus since the most of the time the subject will be fairly still.  Kind of an example of what I'd be doing: 

I bet if you watch for a little while you could find a used T2i with kit lens for pretty close to that. For example I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/231255672649?lpid=82

10% off, bringing it to $373 USD. Granted it looks like it's in Germany...

I might agree with others to look elsewhere, though, rather than a DSLR. Could be hard to get what you want for that price.

I bet if you watch for a little while you could find a used T2i with kit lens for pretty close to that. For example I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/231255672649?lpid=82

10% off, bringing it to $373 USD. Granted it looks like it's in Germany...

I might agree with others to look elsewhere, though, rather than a DSLR. Could be hard to get what you want for that price.

Definitely out of my price range, especially considering the $100+ shipping charge lol  And I've found a handful in my price range, that's why I'm asking if I should go with one of the deals I've found or to just go with a camcorder at the same price.

Definitely out of my price range, especially considering the $100+ shipping charge lol  And I've found a handful in my price range, that's why I'm asking if I should go with one of the deals I've found or to just go with a camcorder at the same price.

Like others have said, I think you'll get more with a camcorder for that price. I don't understand why you need a dslr. I don't think what you'll get from a dslr for that price will suffice for a video camera.