A new (and extraordinary) Sony A7S 4K low light test

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Also not mentioned often enough is the SONY FE 28-135 F4 POWER ZOOM LENS, and compact XLR mic kit. 
This will be an incredibly versatile set up along side the Atomos Shogun for 4K, and beautiful large preview. 
I feel that some of my best projects are shot when using an external monitor versus the back of the camera. I used to shoot with a DP7 on a C100 using the hood all the time.
I'm planning on switching to the a7S if all the hype is really true (and Sony have fixed skin tone color, as it was horrible on the FS100 I used to shoot with). 
Sorry Canon- the only thing that kept me hanging on was the Magic Lantern hack.
Never really entertained the thought of buying a GH4...

• 3 weeks later...

Never really entertained the thought of buying a GH4...

The GH4 is cracking little camera but the sensor size is all wrong, it just has a poor aesthetic. 

I'm a stills guy by trade, a 5D3 user and can say the RAW's out of the A7R are superb (jpegs can be tailored to suit).  One thing I thoroughly disliked about the Canon file was the OTT reds!

No reason the A7S will be any different to the A7R IMO, here's hoping........

And yes, ditto on the Sony XLR module, the new one (with no tail) will be lovely, they're so easy to use -- even by an old stills hack! (:-)

Not sure if anyone is still checking that thread, but I have 2 questions here:

- of the supposed 15 stops od DR, what DR would be truly usable? I mean, GH2s are rated with 11 stops of DR but we all know that the usable DR is far less.

- no internal 4k is a bit of a bummer, even though I understand the technical challenge to make it happen. In theory, would the APS-C sensor crop mode allow for internal 4k?