Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

I was wondering do you have any idea if Canon plans to respond to the new cameras? the only step forward since the early days was the 5d mk3 (with RAW) otherwise nothing has changed in FPS or sharpness!

They need to release a mirrorless APS-C camera with 4K (the only way they can't screw up details with fake HD at this resolution). Even though I believe all EF-S lenses won't work on the mirrorless model.

Do they still believe that protecting the high end models is the way to go? So that they keep releasing the same awful fake 1080p?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Theyre protecting their top end. The only people complaining are people like us with no budget :) I cant believe their Cxxx line don't even have 60p though.

I wonder what their consumer segmentation looks like.  Do the pro's who use their 1dx DSLRs, or Cx00's have the big slice of the revenue pie? Or is it the b-camera pros, prosumer, and hobbyist's that use the 5d's and belows that give them the bang for the buck.

When these things start to seriously affect their business, they will respond. They can happily keep making a ton of cash in the meantime.

The Cxxx absolutely dominate rental, especially the C300. Above that it's the Alexa. The Cxxx series have no workarounds. None! They just work brilliantly. That takes a lot to make, as BMD, Panasonic and many others have shown.

Truth is, whether we like to admit it or not, when they do come out with a 4K mirrorless it'll probably be the best one of the lot!

canon changed the game with dslr video, but this is a company that is slowmoving, (with unbeaten quality in censors and lenses)

they did make a "budget" camera the 6D for phtography and video, i think it flopped in sales, video is moire gallore but photography is AAA

now what we are all expecting is the 7D II, to feature 4K.  for i would say 1800-2500? Dont forget that they have to protect the sales of the 1DC 1DX.

and when it comes and if it comes it will blow everyone as usual, because 4k with L-lenses that match the sensor no speedboosters no adaptors...well lets say keep calm and wait it out.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A dear friend of mine I grew up with, who someone responsible for Canon middle east, a couple of months back I pushed his buttons on how Canon is lacking for video in all their cameras, he hinted a 7D mk II at the second half of 2014, which will have a 1080p video mode similar to C100 1Dc in s35 mode. I also sensed strong dislike for putting 4K in their DSLRs, so it's improbable we'll see it soon.

I think the C200, C400 and C600 (or C100 MKii C300 Mkii whatever they're called)will be 4K.

The C400/C300 MKii will be released first slightly higher price than release price for C300.

That's my guess! There would be no conflict with existing lines, plus they would be competatively priced for pro 4K  camcorders.

In order to do 4K as well as the C series do 1080p, they'd need a 34 megapixel or so video sensor.

34 megapixels at 25p doesn't seem unreasonable.

people seem to forget that the 5dmk3 with the raw hack delivers the best image of any camera available to the wider masses.  Those who are happy with the 8bit (which sharpens up great) can use it as it comes from the factory, or go for a c300 if they want ultimate usability in video jobs.  Those wanting more can use the hack on the 5dmk3 which is free.  Canon know this and haven't closed down ML.  

Not really. They will milk the sales of their existing products as much as they can. And, who can blame them? The CX00 line probably still outsells the GH line even though there is a huge price difference. The perfect camera (for me) would be a C100 with a better viewfinder and at minimum 1080p60. 

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

I think the 7D MkII inheriting the C100's image makes a lot of sense. Canon need to renew their C-line so the C100 tech should trickle downhill soon. I don't know what issues there would be for implementing it in a stills camera? Perhaps the 7D2 will be similar to the A7s - i.e fewer, larger pixels and superb low light performance, thus accomodating low-moire downsampling?

However, the main question mark with this scenario is going to be usability (the C100's major selling point). I wonder if Canon may do what Panasonic did with the GH3 to some degree - i.e. give an official version of the hack. Not RAW, but perhaps selectable bitrates, peaking, live histograms etc.

But I think I'm basically describing the A7s here! Which will probably be a similar price but with the advantage of no mirror. 

A7s looks promising but what about lenses for the E-mount? Also 4K only with external recored?

Have you heard of lens adapters? E mount is one of the most versatile available ...

Oh no!!! 4K only with external recorder! How will we cope!!! Why would ANYONE buy a camera without 4K internal in this day and age! 

Wait a minute ....

Have you heard of lens adapters? E mount is one of the most versatile available ...

Oh no!!! 4K only with external recorder! How will we cope!!! Why would ANYONE buy a camera without 4K internal in this day and age! 

Wait a minute ....

GH4 is spoiling everyone rotten with an amazing feature set in such a low price. :D 

Wait a minute ....

Only if 1080p doesn't suck...we'll see.

Only if 1080p doesn't suck...we'll see.

Agreed. I really hope it's sharp and moire free. Den Lennie's "Smokies" video was shot at 1080. It looks superb but it's hard to judge from that video alone. The only negative for me is the colour (doesn't really do it for me), which can't be bypassed with 10-bit. As you say, we'll see ...