GH4 vs. GH3 Great Comprehensive Comparison Video

Michael Ma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wonder how many repeat bookings that man gets for jobs?  It's like he's a caricature of himself after a whole box of pro plus.  I wanted to reach into the computer screen and shove a big ball of cotton wool in his mouth

*Sigh* (...)

Not only based on that cool comparative with the GH3 but one of the finest GH4 reviews over there. If not of ever to committed buyers once directly addressed on the camera not exactly outcome as usual. I'll put the controversial (?) reviewer as at least here seems so in my follow-up list for sure. Without your contribution, I wouldn't notice the beardy fellow hence my thanks to both of you Michael Ma and jonpais for sharing your open-minded heads-up (E :-)

He said that the rolling shutter is worse than gh3 but didn't panasonic said that they fixed the rolling shutter by 50%?

Panasonic have made great efforts to speed up the sensor in the GH4 so in slow-mo at 96p and standard 1080/60/50p the GH4 has less rolling shutter than the GH3 thanks to a 50% faster sensor readout.

In 4K mode the sensor has to readout 4x the amount of data than in 1080p and the 50% increase in readout speed isn’t enough to compensate.

- Andrew Reid

I wonder how many repeat bookings that man gets for jobs?  It's like he's a caricature of himself after a whole box of pro plus.  I wanted to reach into the computer screen and shove a big ball of cotton wool in his mouth

Serious question:

As a YouTube content creator myself, I'd be interested in hearing what you didn't like about his presentation style. I personally found it informative and his tone varied (not monotone). What was wrong with it for you?

Finally got my GH4 with that 12-35mm GX Vario lens.  I like it very much so far.

I've got one newbie question.

In the video, Griffon mentioned about setting the Master Pedestal Level all the way to +15.  What could be the reasons for setting it up that high on the GH4?

• Administrators

Lifting master pedestal keeps shadow data away from the lowest few points, where very little data is used by the encoder.

absolute black is not prioritised by codecs, understandably, this is the reason for lifting by 15

I've been trying James Miller's settings around that and it does indeed work wonders for the blacks. Very smooth.