Check out the First Short Film Shot on the 4K Panasonic GH4: Does high resolution = video-ish image

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

To me the film did a relatively good job of looking like something from the 1970's.  It was funny.

I just shot with my new GH4 all day on Saturday and it's going to take some time for me to dial in the look I want with this camera. It's a fairly complicated beast with a lot of things to work through, compare the various modes/settings and play with in grading before I feel totally comfortable with it.   I got some good footage, but I also got some crap footage.    It's a learning process and I think this camera is going to reward diligence. 

That said, this camera in the right hands can and will do some pretty amazing things.  In the end it's about the guy running the camera making the right decisions, and not the camera.   This camera doesn't really put much of a limit on the user.  It's a step ahead of every other DSLR out there right now and maybe even some dedicated video cameras costing 5x more.  

Oh, and the stills capability of this camera is the best I've seen yet from a Panasonic.  The images are very pleasing. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If the bmcc speed booster really is compatible with the gh4 you can put some 35-85 range prime or zoom lens on it, shoot @ f2.8-4 and get very good filmic shots, the rest is up to you. The only thing to fear are highlights.

Let's wait for Andrew to come up with something.

It's not resolution as such that makes footage feel videoey, it's a certain type of sharpness. And lighting and so on, but when talking about just footage, excessive digital sharpness is a key culprit.

If you want t make GH4 look like the Epic a little more, dial back sharpness, use a speed booster, get some older glass on it and use a film plug-in in post.

Glass is great for this. MMM hazy old glass! Whack it on your 4K and massage it into happiness...

Smudge it a bit, it'll come to life...

Anyone see the Hobbit? That shows how horrible sharpness can be, but the same camera can look great with the right treatment.

The issue with the original film mentioned here is just poor production value though. That may be part of the joke, but in this context it results in a lot of flak! It's also bot a good way to show off a new camera, so shouldn't really be on such a blog.

• Administrators

I downloaded Luke's raw files for that test. It was a good test but not a definitive final one as I am sure he will be first to admit. I am sure he has more planned. The stuff I found...First the GH4 has digital sharpening applied because it is set to 0 in-camera, the middle of the sharpness scale rather than -5 and that separates it from the Epic and 5D because they both have no sharpening applied in post on the raw data. None of that changes Luke's conclusion that the Epic is softer though, he's right. It is. The GH4 seems a little overexposed in the test which lends a harsher look to highlights in the image, like glinting specular highlights on the roof and the gradation in the sky suffers a bit because of it. The 5D Mark III looks overexposed to me and boosted in post to ISO 800 to match the native ISO on another camera. It should have been shot at ISO 200 with no exposure boost in post necessary on the raw file. Exposure to the right may have helped it. The Epic looks filmic to me, but I am surprised how little extra detail it is giving compared to upscaled 1080p to 4K from the 5D Mark III!

The epic is the reason why a lot of people in the video world think 4K is just a marketing thing.

It's actually great that one year after ML RAW we are comparing compressed video to it, something that was completly out of question just a few month ago.

The most videoish thing is sharpening slighly out of focus areas, or footage shot above f4-5.6 which on m43 is already totally into diffraction area, there is nothing more ugly than sharpened diffraction.

True, testing the GH4 at f/8 doesn't make sense. Testing all the cameras at f/8 doesn't make sense either. Should have tested with apertures giving the same DOF. Something like f/8 on the 5D, 5.6 on the Epic and 4 on the GH4.

Still, it's an interesting test. Just make sure you don't judge on one video. Luckily there is a lot of comparison material out now.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Gh4 just came in the mail. First one here. =] Let's see if this video-look is actually a thing or not. Never owned a panny before it seems so complicated and confusing to use compared to Canons. Surprised by the tough body though!