Sigma FP v4.00 Firmware Released

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Its the catch-up version for the FP of the new features added in the FP-L recently so the two biggest inclusions for me personally are the false colour metering and the selectable parameters function when switching between stills and cine.

I've installed it and had a quick look at the false colour monitoring and as expected its a pretty big new function to have.

Interestingly, you have to assign it to a function button on the camera (I've put it on the right button of the control wheel) and unless I'm missing something (quite possible) it is a momentary switch rather than a toggle so it overlays on screen only for as long as you have the assigned button pressed in.  I tried it being assigned to the AE-L button to make sure its not a quirk of assigning it to the control wheel but its the same performance.

I actually prefer it being momentary rather than a toggle in most scenarios but I would definitely prefer to have the toggle option too.

On the upside, if you hold down the assigned key, it doesn't block any other controls so you can simultaneously use the aperture and shutter controls and dynamically see the effect.

I haven't got time at the moment to look into whether this provides a solution to the "quirky" RAW exposure in video aspect so hopefully someone else can have a look at it and report back. 

It is available from here

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp/?tab=support&local=firmware

Full release notes :

Ver.4.00

* 1 Only for compatible lenses.
* 2 To use this function, it is necessary to update the firmware of the compatible lens to the latest version.

* The following settings are affected: Shooting Mode, Shutter Speed, Aperture, Exposure Compensation, ISO Sensitivity.

・It adds the “False color” function where the exposure status on the screen is displayed in different colors, allowing users to easily see the exposure status of any part of the frame.

・It adds the “Focus Ring Control” function that allows users to change the movement of the focus ring to either linear or nonlinear.

・It adds the “STILL / CINE Link Settings” function that allows users to select whether or not they want to link key exposure settings between STILL and CINE modes.

・It allows the “Screenshot” and “False color” functions to be assigned to “Custom button functions”.

・It changes the specification so that the countdown before a shot in self-timer mode (2 seconds and 10 seconds), and the exposure time for long exposures (bulb shooting and exposures of 1 second or longer) are displayed on screen.

・It adds a function available in STILL mode where information from the attached lens (focal length and shooting distance) can be displayed on screen.

・It adds a “Clip Numbering” function in CINE mode that allows users to change the clip numbering of the “File name / Number” in the “SYSTEM” menu.

【For Blackmagic Design Video Assist 12G Series users】

Blackmagic RAW recording using the HDMI output of SIGMA fp updated to Ver.4.00 may not perform correctly without updating the Video Assist firmware. This issue has been corrected in the “Video Assist 3.5.2 Update” released by Blackmagic Design Pty Ltd on February 16, 2022, so please update your software accordingly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

If you have your HDMI output set to monitoring mode then it does.

However, if you have the HDMI output set to recording mode then not only does it not come out of the HDMI it also doesn't work then work in camera either....

I'm assuming that it is an intentional limitation rather than a bug but without any user guide supplement then I can only assume.

20 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its the catch-up version for the FP of the new features added in the FP-L recently so the two biggest inclusions for me personally are the false colour metering and the selectable parameters function when switching between stills and cine.

I've installed it and had a quick look at the false colour monitoring and as expected its a pretty big new function to have.

Interestingly, you have to assign it to a function button on the camera (I've put it on the right button of the control wheel) and unless I'm missing something (quite possible) it is a momentary switch rather than a toggle so it overlays on screen only for as long as you have the assigned button pressed in.  I tried it being assigned to the AE-L button to make sure its not a quirk of assigning it to the control wheel but its the same performance.

I actually prefer it being momentary rather than a toggle in most scenarios but I would definitely prefer to have the toggle option too.

On the upside, if you hold down the assigned key, it doesn't block any other controls so you can simultaneously use the aperture and shutter controls and dynamically see the effect.

I haven't got time at the moment to look into whether this provides a solution to the "quirky" RAW exposure in video aspect so hopefully someone else can have a look at it and report back. 

It is available from here

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp/?tab=support&local=firmware

Full release notes :

Ver.4.00

* 1 Only for compatible lenses.
* 2 To use this function, it is necessary to update the firmware of the compatible lens to the latest version.

* The following settings are affected: Shooting Mode, Shutter Speed, Aperture, Exposure Compensation, ISO Sensitivity.

・It adds the “False color” function where the exposure status on the screen is displayed in different colors, allowing users to easily see the exposure status of any part of the frame.

・It adds the “Focus Ring Control” function that allows users to change the movement of the focus ring to either linear or nonlinear.

・It adds the “STILL / CINE Link Settings” function that allows users to select whether or not they want to link key exposure settings between STILL and CINE modes.

・It allows the “Screenshot” and “False color” functions to be assigned to “Custom button functions”.

・It changes the specification so that the countdown before a shot in self-timer mode (2 seconds and 10 seconds), and the exposure time for long exposures (bulb shooting and exposures of 1 second or longer) are displayed on screen.

・It adds a function available in STILL mode where information from the attached lens (focal length and shooting distance) can be displayed on screen.

・It adds a “Clip Numbering” function in CINE mode that allows users to change the clip numbering of the “File name / Number” in the “SYSTEM” menu.

【For Blackmagic Design Video Assist 12G Series users】

Blackmagic RAW recording using the HDMI output of SIGMA fp updated to Ver.4.00 may not perform correctly without updating the Video Assist firmware. This issue has been corrected in the “Video Assist 3.5.2 Update” released by Blackmagic Design Pty Ltd on February 16, 2022, so please update your software accordingly.

Exposure metering is exactly the same quirky one as before... 😞 See other thread here for more details.