FLAT Profile on the GH2

sanveer

I realized, that the only grouse, that people have with the GH2, is that, the image is NOT flat, like for most DSLRs and Digital cameras, that shoot video. Instead, the contrast is quite apparent, and the coloring is too strong. So, grading and coloring, in post, is not feasible.
This discussion is about the same.
I have found a way, to get an absolutely Flat picture profile, out of the GH2, but, i want to first color and grade it, and post a sample on Vimeo, before, i state, how i did it.
If other people have their ideas, please let us know

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Im so curious on what your solutions is, that I just made an account here.
Here is a comparison of the raw GH2 footage vs. graded footage. (Too red but it's a grade:P)

Personally I think this is really FLAT enough to use for grading as such.
Why would you want even more FLAT than this with a risk of losing your range since it won't get any better than 8-bit 4.2.0...

Hope you can surprise me!

http://vimeo.com/41629648

I apologize for not posting any videos with the FLAT PROFILE. I've just been travelling (for personal reasons, and not work), and haven't found any coloring/ grading software, to work with.
Please give me a little time. Maybe by this weekend, i should be able to upload a footage from the profile.
tc

• 5 months later...
[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1336678300' post='11806']
I apologize for not posting any videos with the FLAT PROFILE. I've just been travelling (for personal reasons, and not work), and haven't found any coloring/ grading software, to work with.
Please give me a little time. Maybe by this weekend, i should be able to upload a footage from the profile.
tc
[/quote]

Dude, did you ever follow up with this?

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1350911889' post='20118']
Dude, did you ever follow up with this?
[/quote]

ha ha ha ... actually, i uploaded a few videos, online, but, strangely, they had banding, when viewed online, though, i couldn't notice Any banding, when i saw it, on my laptop, as well as my friends'. So, i just gave up :(

There was no lighting trick. Its just that, like other things on the GH2 (eg:- the strange ISO Bug), the picture profile is subjective, and so is the dynamic range. In lighting situations like over-cast skies (and setting it up, as such, with huge shadows and filters), the picture profile is very flat, and the contrast is much lower. This doesn't happen, though, when the clouds cause extreme loss in available light, or during late evenings.
Though, this doesn't apply as a rule or trick, simply because, it is either very difficult to get the same effect as an overcast sky, or its simply impossible.