Panasonic GH4 firmware 1.0 test videos - 4K, C4K, 96 fps

Julian

I've been playing with the GH4 for a while now. I'll share my video's here. Shot a lot more material, still have to edit/upload it. Will do so in the following days.

Go over to Vimeo/YouTube for all the details in the lenses/profiles/settings used. You can download 4K files or high bitrate on Vimeo.

Cinema 4K mode - sunset and lowlight. The 14mm makes razorsharp 4K images. Also used a cheap 200mm f/3.5 Vivitar lens. Hard to get the focus exactly right and maybe not really suitable for 4K. For the video on Vimeo I used pretty high iso values. Shots with the birds are 3200 for example.

96 fps slomo test: with shallow dof shots it is pretty sharp. I have some slomo sufing shots as well, the resolution looks less good with very detailed scenes.

Short test shot at ISO6400 in C4K.

Anamorphic test with Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 and Petit Cinevision 1.5x

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for posting all of these tests.  The flexibility of the GH4 seems to be pulling it far ahead of the competition.

One thing I would like to see is the affect of picture style adjustments.  Specifically, lowering the highlights on cinelike D and V but keeping the shadows at default.

The affects of the saturation and sharpness settings would be interesting too.

Great job with the tests, Julian.  That rolling shutter skew seems very minimal given the speed of travel, was it shot in 4K or FHD?

Cinema 4K

Hah. I immediately recognized the song.

I also found that song on soundcloud a year or so ago, favourited it and thought "This would be a lovely song for a video" :)

Hehe. I get everything from the Vimeo Music Store (Creative Commons, Attribution only). Always end up with the same artists...

Always a pita to pick some music. I know half of the tracks there by heart by now :unsure:

Do you still have the GH3? Would like to see a comparison of both regarding motion cadence. It's something I haven't been able to put my finger on, so curious if the difference would be obvious to me.

Congrats on receiving the camera! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I know with my GH3 I have to find that balance of 60P codec with the right shutter speed.  I usually use 1/160-1/250 depending on how much motion.  I didn't see anything wrong with Julian's footage though.  I think it's just something you have experiment with to get the right amount of motion blur or cadence.

I just sold my GH3 :wacko:

It could be placebo effect, but to the naked eye it seems like a more pleasing motion.

It's something that has been bothering me a lot with my nikons (on a steadycam it becomes very visible) and which doesn't seem to happen in raw cameras, I might be a little bit obsessive but it's something important to me.

I wish someone with tecnical knowledge could explain what exactly creates this, or if it's just in my imagination (or yours). I'll check some gh4 footage.