But it IS a lens. Canon AC 50 1.8

noone

While waiting to get my Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 back, I thought I would muck around with my old Canon 50mm 1.8 AC lens (basically an autofocus FD lens).

In a pinch, if I had nothing else, it would even be usable though to focus, you need to turn it to manual and use a small notch in the front (not THAT hard) and to change the aperture, I have to turn the on-off ring on the adapter (no click stops).

Yes, I BADLY need to clean my laptop.

Used FF on an A7s.

DSCF5307.jpg

DSC02309.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If it's an FD optically then it should be of very high quality.  I only own one FD lens, the 70-210 F4, which I don't think was particularly high end at the time, but man is the build quality and optical quality just superb!  The FD 2X TC I own is also excellent.  

Usability is definitely a factor, but I'm guessing this might have been a bargain @noone ?

7 hours ago, heart0less said:

Noooo, anywhere I go, the yellow rabbit tends to follow me..

It looks quite good actually. Was it shot wide open?

Vignetting is very minimal, micro contrast is definitely there, bokeh seems quite calm.

Close to wide open.     Can not tell what the aperture is because it is controlled via the adapter and clickless (just a normal FD to E adapter). With older FD lenses, the on-off ring is used to help keep the lens on and off the adapter but this is a new FD mount lens so clicks in place anyway and I discovered this by accident.

4 hours ago, kye said:

If it's an FD optically then it should be of very high quality.  I only own one FD lens, the 70-210 F4, which I don't think was particularly high end at the time, but man is the build quality and optical quality just superb!  The FD 2X TC I own is also excellent.  

Usability is definitely a factor, but I'm guessing this might have been a bargain @noone ?

I love a lot of old FD lenses though especially the L versions (only have three FDs  now and only one that is a regular user).     If you ever get the chance, pick up a FD 80-200 f4 L and compare that to your current lens..they are not THAT expensive if you are lucky.      I do think a lot of the non L lenses are great but that applies to all the old legacy lenses (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus ...I have had a heap of all of those and more).     I regret having to sell my 80-200 F4 FD L as I did not get that much for it and it is the best of the old mid range telezooms i have had (along with the Tamron 19ah adaptall).

This lens is  the normal lens I have owned that I like the LEAST but optically, it is probably about the same as most from its vintage.     Usable optically but not as easy to use as the others (though not that difficult), just that I would not use it normally.   It usually lives on a Canon FD film SLR.