Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Question: Does anyone know an affordable SD card that is fast enough to record 4K 8bit CinemaDNG?

The Sandisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s is too slow...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Vloggers-Filmmakers-Photographers-Curators/dp/B07T9JV7K7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=prograde&qid=1576326422&sr=8-1

They work no problem and are fairly cost effective

cheers
Paul

Has anyone managed to use SlimRAW on the sigma DNGs and then bring them into Resolve. For me, Resolve doesn't like any sigma files that have been compressed. But Adobe is fine with them... Not sure if that's a slimRAW issue, an issue with how the sigmas are written or Resolve... Just seeing if it's just me?

thanks
Paul

24 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Yes I could bring them into resolve studio lossless compressed,  what version of resolve do you use?

Interesting, am on 16.1.1 and the latest version of SlimRAW 1.8.2 on macOS in this case - does that match with you?

Could i get a sample compressed DNG if you have one handy and i'll try that?

Paul

27 minutes ago, paulinventome said:

That worked! I wonder if it's because it's 12 bit whereas the stuff i'd been compressing was 8 bit...

Both Resolve and Premiere have problems with 8-bit DNG. I believe Resolve 14 broke support for both compressed and uncompressed 8-bit. Then at some later point uncompressed 8-bit was working again, but compressed 8-bit was still sketchy. This wasn't much of an issue since no major camera was recording 8-bit anyway, but now with the Sigma fp out, it is worked around in the upcoming release of slimRAW.

4 hours ago, rawshooter said:

The Nikon Z6/Z7 ProRes RAW update is out, and it turns out that those cameras will downsize the sensor's native resolutions to 4K RAW as well.

So we better shouldn't expect the announced ProRes RAW firmware update for the Sigma fp to give us 6K external RAW recording...

Looking at the specs i'd be tempted to say this its the exact same sensor inside the Z6

If that's the case it depends on crop. If it is full width then the image, like the fp, is from a full read out but being scaled into UHD. If there's a crop then one of the modes on the possible sensor is a 14 bit 4K crop.

It would be lovely to have that choice

But on the Nikon is there an OLPF in it or is it the same as the fp? AFAIK the scaling from full frame to UHD is softening on purpose to mitigate any aliasing. If the Nikon has an OLPF then they could scale that down sharper.

It would be nice if sigma gave as some more recording sizes. I'd prefer DCI 4K across and even a 2:1 aspect version.

cheers
Paul

11 hours ago, MikhailA said:

Maybe it’s a strange question , but  I can’t  help           feeling that the scroll wheel on the back turns too loose. Is this how it's supposed to be..?

I don't think mine is 'loose' as such, you can waggle it back and forth between the steps though but that's not really a problem.

Biggest issue is why can't i set it to drive something in cine mode! Like ISO or shutter speed... It's utterly pointless in cine mode right now (unless i am missing something)

cheers
Paul