I need help to choose which audio gears to buy

Dan Wake

hello, I need help about which audio devices to buy for some friends. they need some devices to record the sound during shoots on short movies. I thought about a zoom h4n + 1 rode microphone, but which rode? and which would be the ideal audio gears to start taking sound on the film set? If you can give me an index I would be really grateful. Maybe they need something that I do not know.

thanks bye!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

All depends of the money they want to invest and the kind of project, in audio equipment cheap never is good, i use Tascam and Rode so this what i recommend based on my experiences, of course there's more advanced equipment and from other maker.

Basic:

-Zoom H4n or Tascam DR-100 MKII

-Shotgun mic Rode NTG-2

-Boom Pole or mic fishpole.

-Shotgun Win protection.

More advance equipment:

-Tascam DR-680

-Shotgun mic Rode NTG-3

When i need a lavalier i have the Sony UWP-V6.

Cheers.

All depends of the money they want to invest and the kind of project, in audio equipment cheap never is good, i use Tascam and Rode so this what i recommend based on my experiences, of course there's more advanced equipment and from other maker.

Basic:

-Zoom H4n or Tascam DR-100 MKII

-Shotgun mic Rode NTG-2

-Boom Pole or mic fishpole.

-Shotgun Win protection.

More advance equipment:

-Tascam DR-680

-Shotgun mic Rode NTG-3

When i need a lavalier i have the Sony UWP-V6.

Cheers.

thanks. if I need to take dialogue which one of this microphones do I need and which tool? I need to take dialogue indoor and outdoor. and sometimes at a little bit of distance from actors.

thanks! :)

which camera are you using. I've been using the JuicedLink RM222 with the AT875 shotgun mic since March with my GH3, no regrets and great results. THe AT875 on the indoor interview. The Seinheisser ew100-ENG G3 system on the outdoor interview. all throughthe JuicedLink
http://video.dallasnews.com?freewheel=90850&sitesection=dallasnews_nws_non_non&VID=25133146

Sound is sadly an overlooked segment of the amateur film production... It´s all about cameras... Truth is, sound is much more important than the picture. The picture quality can be bad and you still enjoy the movie. But if sound quality is bad, you get kicked out of the atmosphere right away. No chance in taking the movie seriously.

better spend more money on pro stuff and really be happy with it than to instantly regret your decision (once you heard your first recording). The preamps of the Zoom H4n and the Tascam DR-100 are not very good... If you power the mentioned Rode NTG2 (which needs to be amplified very much) with on of them, if you´re not extremly close to your object, you will always hear the noise level of the amplifiers

I suggest the Sound Devices MixPre-D which costs around 1000$. It is a mixer with no recording options, so you have to get the signal either directly into the camera or into any extern recorder you have (can be a cheap one too like the zoom h2 for instance)

Also there is no Microphone for every situation. There is a difference in recording 3 persons in 1 meter distance or 1 person in 3 meter distance... 

Unless you are going to spend big money on external recorders, just use a laptop. There are couple of cheep USB powered mics out there that are pretty good. Or you can get a cheap m-audio A/D converter.

Also, learn how to use SoundForge, or it's equivalent, and you can make almost any half decently recorded audio sound great, at minimal expense.  Spending $10,000 on audio equipment won't make much difference if you don't know what you are doing with compression and EQ.

Unless you are going to spend big money on external recorders, just use a laptop. There are couple of cheep USB powered mics out there that are pretty good. Or you can get a cheap m-audio A/D converter.

Also, learn how to use SoundForge, or it's equivalent, and you can make almost any half decently recorded audio sound great, at minimal expense.  Spending $10,000 on audio equipment won't make much difference if you don't know what you are doing with compression and EQ.

no ones said spending $10,000...

Laptops are pretty unhandy... you always have to find a spot to build your station, relocate it every now and then cause they shoot in this direction now.. it takes time to start, makes noise and outside it´s not very usefull... for indoor it works, but you basically need two people to run... one on the boom and one controling the sound... The Fostex FR2 LE is also a nice option... A rather dated field recorder now, but does everything you want and this with very nice pre amps... cost around $500...

hello, I need help about which audio devices to buy for some friends. they need some devices to record the sound during shoots on short movies. I thought about a zoom h4n + 1 rode microphone, but which rode? and which would be the ideal audio gears to start taking sound on the film set? If you can give me an index I would be really grateful. Maybe they need something that I do not know.

thanks bye!

I suggest, you pick up a pair of Zoom H1 ($99) or Tascam DR-05 ($99), and get a pair of Giant Squid Lapel Mics ($40) (get 3, just in case 1 has any issues). You land up spending about $198 + $120 = $318

You could add an opteka shotgun mic VM100 ($80) for reference sound, and you have brilliant quality audio, at a fraction of the cost of Sennheisers.