Two new pro sound recorders announced: Zaxcom Nova ($5K) & Sound Devices Scorpio ($9K)

IronFilm

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Don't wait. Just buy the F4

Many of the improvements of the F8 to F8n are things the F4 had already improved over the F8!

And as for the rest, the OG F8 got that via a firmware update, which the F4 has got now as well. 

The F4 as it is today in 2019 is very much like what I'd have predicted a F4n would be like prior to the F8n shipping. 

Appreciate that they've been good with firmware updates but the F4 still has the inexplicable consumer-level line output from the XLR outputs and that (to me) pretty crappy screen. Aside from those things I think it's really good.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

@Kisaha you might want this ?

Haha! M1 is my next one, and NT-SF1 the next next!

I already have the Sennheiser 440 and the AT 4025 (unbelievable for the price and for atmos) and I had 2 Audixes for stereo arrangements, but I just sold 1 to fund the CS-M1 buy!

The F6 seems amazing for sound effects and designers. I am not sure, but I may "have" to buy one of those also!

3 hours ago, norliss said:

Appreciate that they've been good with firmware updates but the F4 still has the inexplicable consumer-level line output from the XLR outputs and that (to me) pretty crappy screen. Aside from those things I think it's really good.

Not a big deal breaker though to send mic output which is what I always did with my F4 (as I never came across a scenario when I MUST do line level), is nice though to have line level in the F8n as another option. 

As for the screen.... I dunno, there are often times when I'm outdoors and I kinda wish I still had my F4 screen on my F8n!

45 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not a big deal breaker though to send mic output which is what I always did with my F4 (as I never came across a scenario when I MUST do line level), is nice though to have line level in the F8n as another option. 

As for the screen.... I dunno, there are often times when I'm outdoors and I kinda wish I still had my F4 screen on my F8n!

When I have to send to dSLR/mirrorless I use the Sub Out in mic level.

If you send to FS7 type of cameras, usually can choose their input to match F8's output anyway.

If you do not need a recorder, buy a mixer!

It has a monochromatic mode similar to the F4.

Going to make a wild guess today for when the "Scorpio Micro" will happen, am thinking: late 2020 or earlier it will ship! (fingers crossed)

Sound Devices was impressive in pushing out heaps of MixPre recorders quickly. But if we ignore the M variants, as they're just "small" differences, then they had three: 3 / 6 / 10T. 

The last of them was the MixPre10T, which has a roughly year and half gap between the 10T shipping and when Scorpio will ship. 

Thus if we figure out a similar product development cycle for the next big release then this will come in late 2020, which is roughly a year and half from now. 

However hopefully the product development for a "Scorpio Micro" will be faster than making the Scorpio from scratch (which is totally different to the MixPre10T which came just before it!), so maaaaaybe we can see a Scorpio Micro at NAB 2020? ?

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Going to make a wild guess today for when the "Scorpio Micro" will happen, am thinking: late 2020 or earlier it will ship! (fingers crossed)

Sound Devices was impressive in pushing out heaps of MixPre recorders quickly. But if we ignore the M variants, as they're just "small" differences, then they had three: 3 / 6 / 10T. 

The last of them was the MixPre10T, which has a roughly year and half gap between the 10T shipping and when Scorpio will ship. 

Thus if we figure out a similar product development cycle for the next big release then this will come in late 2020, which is roughly a year and half from now. 

However hopefully the product development for a "Scorpio Micro" will be faster than making the Scorpio from scratch (which is totally different to the MixPre10T which came just before it!), so maaaaaybe we can see a Scorpio Micro at NAB 2020? ?

Noone cares here, except if costs 499$, has only 1 knob and you do not pay for sound department!

On 4/10/2019 at 2:59 AM, norliss said:

As mentioned you can use the sub out into the mic in... but also you can pick up one of these attenuation line cables from Sescom that knock the volume down by 25db. Works perfectly. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-LN2MIC-ZOOMH4N-3-5mm-Line-Cable/dp/B004U3S1JA

• 6 months later...