Atomos Ninja V and Fuji X-H1

wa666ou

I've recently got Atomos Ninja V for my Fuji X-H1.

I've set F-Log inside the camera and F-Log, F-gamma, inside Ninja.

But for some reason, the image from Ninja is more saturated. Is that normal? I have no previous experience with external recorders.

And it's not monitoring difference, it's the result file.

I will upload a sample tomorrow.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, wa666ou said:

I've recently got Atomos Ninja V for my Fuji X-H1.

I've set F-Log inside the camera and F-Log, F-gamma, inside Ninja.

But for some reason, the image from Ninja is more saturated. Is that normal? I have no previous experience with external recorders.

And it's not monitoring difference, it's the result file.

I will upload a sample tomorrow.

Yes it's a known issue with Fuji, not sure if there is a solution

There was a lengthy discussion/investigation regarding this issue. The conclusion was Ninja files show the correct colour. Fuji internal files are handled incorrectly by certain applications including Premiere and Resolve (version dependent) due to confusing colour metadata tags. Reds turn orange and greens become darkened. In high end finishing tools such as Baselight and Scratch, the files are completely identical.

17 minutes ago, androidlad said:

There was a lengthy discussion/investigation regarding this issue. The conclusion was Ninja files show the correct colour. Fuji internal files are handled incorrectly by certain applications including Premiere and Resolve (version dependent) due to confusing colour metadata tags. Reds turn orange and greens become darkened. In high end finishing tools such as Baselight and Scratch, the files are completely identical.

Was there a workaround in premiere?

3 hours ago, wa666ou said:

I'm seeing a different image in just viewing the files in Quicktime. So, not even going into editing software.

Exactly. The confusing colour metadata tags cause the Fuji internal files to be decoded incorrectly, it doesn't matter if it's video player or video editor.

Open a file with MediaInfo and you'll see.

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

same issue with xt3 ?

8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

even if the camera output has been set to fuji in the ninja v menu ?

It's nothing to do with Ninja. It's the way Fuji cameras encode video files with confusing metadata that causes the discrepancy.

Ninja recordings show the correct colour, the video level just need to be changed to full instead of limited.

• 3 weeks later...

With recent ffmpeg builds you can change HEVC/H.264 flags, and it doesn't solve the issue. There must be something else too.

If you want to try it, use this command to change all the color related flags to BT.709:

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV -c copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=1:transfer_characteristics=1:matrix_coefficients=1 OUTPUT.MOV

And this to change all to BT.601:

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV -c copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=6:transfer_characteristics=6:matrix_coefficients=6 OUTPUT.MOV

54 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

With recent ffmpeg builds you can change HEVC/H.264 flags, and it doesn't solve the issue. There must be something else too.

If you want to try it, use this command to change all the color related flags to BT.709:

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV -c copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=1:transfer_characteristics=1:matrix_coefficients=1 OUTPUT.MOV

And this to change all to BT.601:

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV -c copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=colour_primaries=6:transfer_characteristics=6:matrix_coefficients=6 OUTPUT.MOV

BBC already published a tool to change colour metadata and I tried it, it didn't work because all it does (including recent ffmpeg builds) is changing the metadata tags at container level (QuickTime), while the actual metadata tags are also present at stream level (H.264/H.265), to change metadata tags at stream level you might need to go extremely sophisticated with hex editor.

14 minutes ago, androidlad said:

BBC already published a tool to change colour metadata and I tried it, it didn't work because all it does (including recent ffmpeg builds) is changing the metadata tags at container level (QuickTime), while the actual metadata tags are also present at stream level (H.264/H.265), to change metadata tags at stream level you might need to go extremely sophisticated with hex editor.

I see. So it's theoretically possible but we don't have the tools. Doing this by hand is beyond my skills I'm afraid.

Btw ffmpeg's manual says, that it modifies headers in the stream: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#hevc_005fmetadata

22 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

I see. So it's theoretically possible but we don't have the tools. Doing this by hand is beyond my skills I'm afraid.

Btw ffmpeg's manual says, that it modifies headers in the stream: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#hevc_005fmetadata

were you able to change metadata tags for both stream and container ? What does ffprobe say for the altered file?

16 minutes ago, androidlad said:

were you able to change metadata tags for both stream and container ? What does ffprobe say for the altered file?

I can change the stream metadata tags with the commands I posted earlier.
If I list the streams with ffprobe (ffprobe -v error -show_streams INPUT.MOV), then I get this in the original HEVC stream:
color_space=smpte170m
color_transfer=smpte170m
color_primaries=bt709

After converting all to bt709 I get this:
color_space=bt709
color_transfer=bt709
color_primaries=bt709

What I don't know is how I can change things on the container level.

EDIT:

ffprobe -show_format actually shows the container tags, and this is what I get for the original file:

[FORMAT]
filename=DSCF7556.MOV
nb_streams=3
nb_programs=0
format_name=mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
format_long_name=QuickTime / MOV
start_time=0.000000
duration=25.000000
size=635467264
bit_rate=203349524
probe_score=100
TAG:major_brand=qt
TAG:minor_version=0
TAG:compatible_brands=qt
TAG:creation_time=2019-01-14T16:13:13.000000Z
TAG:original_format=Digital Camera
TAG:original_format-eng=Digital Camera
TAG:comment=FUJIFILM DIGITAL CAMERA X-T3
TAG:comment-eng=FUJIFILM DIGITAL CAMERA X-T3
[/FORMAT]

So there is nothing here about colors. Then it's interesing why changing metadata on the stream level does nothing in Resolve/Premiere.

UPDATE: I believe we were looking at this the wrong way. There is only one place for these tags and it's at the stream level, however Premiere and Resolve doesn't even read these flags. Assimilate Scratch does, and if you modify the flags with FFMpeg the footage will look different in Scratch. The difference is also visible with MPC-HC, or FFPlay. At this point I don't think we can do much, maybe tell BM Support that they should care about these flags.

This also leads me to believe that the Fuji flags are correct, and the bad interpretation is not a result of a confusion.

2 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

UPDATE: I believe we were looking at this the wrong way. There is only one place for these tags and it's at the stream level, however Premiere and Resolve doesn't even read these flags. Assimilate Scratch does, and if you modify the flags with FFMpeg the footage will look different in Scratch. The difference is also visible with MPC-HC, or FFPlay. At this point I don't think we can do much, maybe tell BM Support that they should care about these flags.

This also leads me to believe that the Fuji flags are correct, and the bad interpretation is not a result of a confusion.

Interesting. Why do you think internal files and ProRes file match in Scratch despite one uses BT.601 matrix and the other uses BT.709 matrix?

I think the underlying YCbCr data is different in the internal version compared to the ProRes version. Both share the same BT.709 primaries but the internal version requires the BT.601 matrix coefficients to convert to the correct RGB values. Resolve and Premiere seems to ignore this flag and they use the BT.709 matrix. This is perfect for the external recording, but not so much for the internal as we have seen. The LUT and the matrix that's included in that package is basicly a multiplication of two matrices, the first one converts from RGB to YCbCr using the 701 matrix, the second one converts YCbCr to RGB with the 601 matrix. So it basicly undoes the wrong YCbCr->RGB conversion and redoes it correctly. Scratch does one thing that Premiere & Resolve does not, it actually gives a shit about the flags :)

19 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

I think the underlying YCbCr data is different in the internal version compared to the ProRes version. Both share the same BT.709 primaries but the internal version requires the BT.601 matrix coefficients to convert to the correct RGB values. Resolve and Premiere seems to ignore this flag and they use the BT.709 matrix. This is perfect for the external recording, but not so much for the internal as we have seen. The LUT and the matrix that's included in that package is basicly a multiplication of two matrices, the first one converts from RGB to YCbCr using the 701 matrix, the second one converts YCbCr to RGB with the 601 matrix. So it basicly undoes the wrong YCbCr->RGB conversion and redoes it correctly. Scratch does one thing that Premiere & Resolve does not, it actually gives a shit about the flags :)

Decoding a BT.709 YCbCr signal using BT.601 and BT.709 matrix should produce two different results, so, if Scratch was truly respecting the tags, internal and external should look different. Of course this is all based on the assumption that the camera originated YCbCr data is the same between internal and external.