A7III flicker/banding problem

scotchtape

Does anyone else have this issue?

During live event shoots, my A7III has lots of problems with screens/lights causing flicker (banding pattern).  I try different shutter speeds but nothing helps.  Usually shooting 1/50 for 24p. Dropping down to 1/25 I can see it's gone, but anything above that and it's still there (1/40 to 1/200++).

The GH5 I have is fine in the same situation.

A7III at home is fine with my lights and monitors, and on normal corporate shoots with LED panels.  

Anyone else experience this?

Also I just want to rant - stabilization on the A7III is terrible.  I updated to V2 firmware because it said IS optimizations, what a load of crap.  Screwed over 3rd party batteries and IS is no better, so if you're still on 1.1 just stick with it for now. The tamron 28-75mm seems to be worse IBIS wise after the update.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

During live event shoots, my A7III has lots of problems with screens/lights causing flicker (banding pattern).  I try different shutter speeds but nothing helps.  Usually shooting 1/50 for 24p. Dropping down to 1/25 I can see it's gone, but anything above that and it's still there (1/40 to 1/200++).

Try shooting 25p at 1/50.

45 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

For regions with 50hz lights 25p and 1/50 (or multiples of 50) will eliminate banding in video or when shooting stills with the electronic shutter. In the US with 60hz lights, 30p and 1/60 (or multiples of 60) is the cure.  

Chris

True but it's not the one cure for all. Sensor readout speed has to be taken into account. Do you know the transit time of A7III's electronic shutter? Only 1/30s, note that this is independent from shutter speed, you can set shutter speed to 1/1000 and the sensor readout is still fixed at 1/30, resulting in rolling shutter when motion is present, or banding with artificial light.

A9 on the other hand, has a lightning fast readout speed of 1/160s

On 11/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, androidlad said:

True but it's not the one cure for all. Sensor readout speed has to be taken into account. Do you know the transit time of A7III's electronic shutter? Only 1/30s, note that this is independent from shutter speed, you can set shutter speed to 1/1000 and the sensor readout is still fixed at 1/30, resulting in rolling shutter when motion is present, or banding with artificial light.

A9 on the other hand, has a lightning fast readout speed of 1/160s

I’ve actually shot with the camera in the US and in 50hz countries. The banding is well documented using ES or when shooting video, as is the solution. 

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I’ve actually shot with the camera in the US and in 50hz countries. The banding is well documented using ES or when shooting video, as is the solution. 

Nah, it may work for tungsten/halogen lights that flicker around 50/60hz, but there are millions of different frequencies that modern lights could flicker at.