Apple/ Adobe Drops Support for Legacy Codecs

User

Hi folks, I guess many of you already know about this but I just came face to face with it when I left CC2104 for CC 2019 last week. It's created difficult and frustrating situation for me as I have been in a long haul edit with thousands of files. I left CC2014 as the project got so large it was eating up all my Mac's virtual memory and would take 30 minutes to load all the assets. In going forward with CC2019,  the quick 'workaround' has been to batch rename the .mov files to .mp4 and then relink them but this is a huge fucking pain. I'm currently staring staring at yet another screen that wants me to reconnect another 3772 files. Normally it can be decent to get high when doing some tedious job like this but somehow I have to stay sharp during this process. To use Webrunner's favourite word here, what the 'hell' are you guys doing when going forward in situations like this? Click locate... click locate... click locate.... oh joy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2473026

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rather than doing it all manually, why not set up a huge batch convert to encode to a different codec that is accepted and maintains the file extension. Set those to go to a whole new drive.

While that’s happening continue to edit in cc2014 and when it’s done open your project in cc2018, plug in the drive with the new encodes, unplug the drive with the OG files and relink the whole project. 

It might take longer, but at least you can keep working in the meantime and it’s much less manual tasks, and you can leave it over night.

Also, don’t update mid project, it never, ever saves time. 

Hi Anaconda_ and thank you for the insight as it fits with what I had originally planned, so it's good to have your confirmation.
The thing is that it will take some time to transcode that material and it'll pretty much tie up (fry an egg anyone?) my Mac during the process. The other thing is that I'd need a 12TB drive to hold the 3.8TB of .mov files that would need to be transcoded (to ProRes?) and I don't have any more room in my 5bay enclosure. It's just a matter of tediously relinking the .mp4 files.

The strange thing here is that PPro somehow has no problem with some of the .mov files while rejecting others. My big question is, will there be a point where PPro does not accept the batch renamed .mp4 and other ProRes.mov files that it currently does accept?

And yes, one never saves time updating mid project... I guess I got excited about finally being able to break the main project down into smaller projects and having them open them in PPro. Maybe it'll be worse in the end... god knows. I'm certainly open to suggestion here if anyone has a better path forward.

Pesonally I never encountered the codec dropped by Adobe (Cinepak, Graphics or Sorenson Video). Are your files encoded with these?

I'm not sure to understand your issue. You try to import a big 2014 project in 2019 but why do you have to rename from mov to mp4?

Maybe you could try a progressive step by step approach: install 2015 and import your 2014 project, then install 2016 and import 2015, etc. Perhaps premiere will handle this better than jumping from 2014 to 2019.

18 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Pesonally I never encountered the codec dropped by Adobe (Cinepak, Graphics or Sorenson Video). Are you files encoded with these?

I'm not sure to understand your issue. You try to import a big 2014 project in 2019 but why do you have to rename from mov to mp4?

Maybe you could try a progressive step by step approach: install 2015 and import your 2014 project, then install 2016 and import 2015, etc. Perhaps premiere will handle this better than jumping from 2014 to 2019.

Hi OliKMIA, thanks again for your continued support here.

The files the were renamed from .mov. to mp4 were XDCam (transferred/ converted by Sony protocol software) and H.264 from the 5DM2 which were just copied off the card.
Between CC2014 and CC2017-8 Apple and Adobe dropped support for .mov (and .avi?) files but somehow some of these .mov files will still play in PPro. The workaround has been to batch rename these non-playable .mov files to another file wrapper like .mp4 which is still supported.
Yes I did consider (and try) importing the main project file across several iterations of PPro but that didn't seem to help so I just deleted these project files and then went straight from CC2014 to CC2019.
My main concern is that after importing all these new video files that have had they file extensions changed is: will these same files still be seen and maintained in the new CC2019 project? Or will they drop off like flies at random because of something I can't or don't anticipate.

3 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

If it's simply the file name that's the issue why not use a batch rename tool you can download to change all the desired file types to mp4 from mov? Most batch file renamer tools allow this. 

Already done. This is handled natively in Mac's folder options.

10 minutes ago, User said:

My main concern is that after importing all these new video files that have had they file extensions changed is: will these same files still be seen and maintained in the new CC2019 project? Or will they drop off like flies at random because of something I can't or don't anticipate.

Seems to be a big mess and you have a lot of files so transcoding doesn't seem to be an option. But I don't understand the relation between codec and mov/mp4. These are wrappers, not codec. Anyway, I'm your tried many things

To answer your question, the best would be to do a test run with a few files. Create a new project in 2014 with 5 files, change the extensions and see how they react when important in 2019. Should take 5 minutes.

19 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Seems to be a big mess and you have a lot of files so transcoding doesn't seem to be an option. But I don't understand the relation between codec and mov/mp4. These are wrappers, not codec. Anyway, I'm your tried many things

To answer your question, the best would be to do a test run with a few files. Create a new project in 2014 with 5 files, change the extensions and see how they react when important in 2019. Should take 5 minutes.

I'm not sure I understand the finer points of codecs and wrappers either... but if memory serves, wrappers are what codec sit inside of. Unfortunately this crap sits on the periphery of what I need to know when chasing offbeat stories and sitting in jail ;)

'Hell', relinking files seems to be going faster that I anticipated! Let's see how the relinking holds up over time.

x.png

35 minutes ago, User said:

x.png

Oh hell you are half way there. Good job. I had a suggestion but now you are winning the battle. Proceed. ?

This kind of explains Codec and Container, ergo Wrapper a little bit.

"Simply put, a codec is a method for encoding and decoding data and more specifically, a protocol for compressing data, especially video. Selecting the right codec can depend on several factors. Target file size, output quality, and delivery method all factor in. Currently h.264 is the predominant codec on the web.

In comparison, a container, is what holds the grouping of compressed video as defined by the codec. A container is also referred to as a format. The container takes care of packaging, transport, and presentation. The container is usually represented by a file extension. For example the MPEG4 container is usually represented by a .mp4 file type".

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh hell you are half way there. Good job. I had a suggestion but now you are winning the battle. Proceed. ?

The battle will be won when I'm sitting on a beach again with a fruity drink and an umbrella stuffed in it... cause it's the umbrella that really sells the whole fucking thing ;)
Onward!