Intersting survey about bokeh

Mattias Burling

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

One big idea behind blurring the backdrop is to keep the viewers focus on the subject. However sometimes it works against itself. The background blur can draw attention to itself. I see this in a lot of movies these days. Everything is shallow DOF and it looks distracting and unnatural sometimes. If I care about the show or movie I'll be focusing on the subject not a car moving by in the back. 

Reminds me of a saying about continuity.

"If people notice continuity problems then your film is crap"

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

More experienced or advanced filmakers just use that as a an artistic and expressionistic tool, because they know better..

Agreed.  Things either serve the story..... or don't.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah DOF is definitely a way to make a boring shot look a bit more interesting. Better lighting or set design are better ways to accomplish and interesting shot but of course that isn't always possible to do.

What annoys me is the new Star Wars films (Rogue One ahem) which have incredible sets, scenery, and backdrops, yet every damn shot was shallow.