Hollywood Reporter - "In firing James Gunn, Disney hurts all of Hollywood"

Andrew Reid

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That's the thing... A joke is not a statement. It's not even real.

A joke isn't always a "joke" some times its a thinly veiled insult, provocation, defamation, or plain old personal attack.  Not to mention jokes can be in bad taste.

Kathy Griffin is a perfect example. She posted a horrendous photo and caption. When the backlash hit she retracted it, and then publicly apologized  saying "I beg for your forgiveness".  Later she publicly retracted her apology, i assume because it didn't yield the result she wanted. 

Society has had social lines in the sand since the beginning of time. Some have moved over time, some are age, race, or even ethnicity/nationality  dependent.The one constant that holds true for all of them, is that flirting with them can have consequences.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sometimes I feel we go over the same arguments again and again for the benefit of people new to the thread or the story and who haven't done their research.

See this is very similar to what I  mean.

The statement reads very much like a thinly veiled insult directed at me, because you disagree with my point of view. Perceived or real that has consequences.

55 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

See this is very similar to what I  mean.

The statement reads very much like a thinly veiled insult directed at me, because you disagree with my point of view. Perceived or real that has consequences.

Ok. But the challenge then, is to somehow have enough experience/ insight to know if it is a joke or not. In times like this, I'm reminded of Jack Handy who once said: Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

But having said that, I'm also reminded of another one of his quotes: It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.