Is a Sony FS700 still worth buying in late 2018??

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Tone1k said:

Saying the FS700 is no good for a solo shooter is also saying the FS7, F5, F55, Ursa Mini Pro or any other camera that doesn't fit on a handheld gimbal.. Is no good either.

I didn't say it was no good. Pretty sure I've said multiple times now that the OP should buy it and that it is an excellent choice. The points I have made are points to consider and are in fact reasonable. It isn't black and white like you seem to want to think. i.e. Me: FS700 bad vs You: FS700 good. 

Your comments about a decent camera will already have decent aids in place,  show me a dslr sized camera that has a great fully articulating screen, false colour, waveform, accurate peaking, full LUT support etc 

Really? Have a look at the GH5. But why does it need to have a fully articulating screen? The whole point of discussion was ADDING a screen. Ad yes the Pocket will have those features, so a decent display will inherit them as well. Besides, I am guessing you haven't looked at what is available in this space these days. 

In terms of needing Follow focus motors and all that other parafenalia you mention... That's just not the case. In fact, you can put a small Sony E-mount lens on the FS700, mount it to a ronin or similar and have perfectly usable autofocus (with face tracking!) if thats what your into. Try doing that with the Pocket! 

*sigh* 

I asked HOW WELL does it work in that setup, which despite being a supposed owner and user, you couldn't answer. You keep diverting, saying how there is this work around or that. Fact is IF you need the setup I describe, it does NOT work well, if at all. That SHOULD be a point of consideration. That doesn't mean it is automatically a deal-breaker, it is up to the individual to decide how that affects them. Obviously you can put a compact AF E-Mount lens on there, that isn't what I was asking about. Wanna talk about the pocket? I have no idea what the AF is like. The AF on the FS700 is no way in the same league as many other cameras with reliable AF, like the Canon's you dismiss or newer Sony's like my A7 III. For everything else you are zone focussing or using a wireless FF. The smaller gimbals are offering wireless FF that are close to built in. FS700? Well it won't go on those gimbals, so now you need another expensive bit of kit that you buy or hire. 

I said 'if you prefer the feel of a proper cine camera'... The FS700 odyssey combo feels more like a cine camera compared to small handheld set ups in its build, pro level features (with the odyssey) etc. 'if you prefer it' meaning closer to. 

Sure I guess. But cameras like the C500 are much more of a 'proper cinema camera' but you decided to dismiss that based on 'spec'. So is it spec-dollar or how 'proper cinema camera' it is? The FS700 is in the handicam NEX group. That is the type of camera it is. It does a LOT for the money... But it is no better made than a GH5 or Pocket Cinema Camera... But it is bigger, hallow and plastic (the GH5 is magnesium alloy). 

All cameras are good options, I know the FS700 can make me money, not sure about the Pocket yet. I'll see when I receive it.

They sure are. Seemingly though the FS700 is better than all of them... just 'coz. 

It really depends what you need and where your priorities are as to which you choose. But please don't spread false information by saying things like 'you'll need a whole grip truck or camera van to use it'. 

Sorry that you don't like it, but it is a valid issue. When developing a project these are things that need to be considered. Sure if you are going to use a bodgy shoulder rig, a cinesaddle and a tripod you aren't going to need a truck. But every bit of gear needs to be considerable bigger, heavier and more expensive for a bigger camera. This is a simple fact. If you have a lot of grip, that does start to get huge and expensive. Up to the user, but these are issues that need to be solved by someone. Don't spread false information that it has no impact, either you are clueless or you are really just trying hard to beat the drum of the FS700. 

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hell I can probably put a Arri Alexa on my Shoulder, Can't be as big as ENG cameras. But to say it is convenient or manageable solo, well sure a person can do anything if you want, but some ideas are, well, silly.a

Exactly. The cost difference between shooting an Alexa vs a Pocket Cinema 4K is not in the cost of the camera. Same as a R1 etc. Not to mention all the extra crew required. 

2 hours ago, MdB said:

Really? Have a look at the GH5. But why does it need to have a fully articulating screen? The whole point of discussion was ADDING a screen. Ad yes the Pocket will have those features, so a decent display will inherit them as well. Besides, I am guessing you haven't looked at what is available in this space these days. 

By full articulating, i mean you can place it where you want. While bigger, It's more flexible setup. The GH5 screen is tiny, not my idea of a good screen ...

*sigh* 

I asked HOW WELL does it work in that setup, which despite being a supposed owner and user, you couldn't answer. You keep diverting, saying how there is this work around or that.

It works perfectly fine. Not sure how you've set up the FS700 on a Ronin before but I haven't had any issues using a range of Sony FE or Cine lenses. I didn't divert, I simply explained that you don't need Follow Focus motors or a Camera van like you seemed to think to make it all work. On the contrary, I merely was trying to get across that you may have to actually use a FF on the Pocket4k when on a gimbal rather than the FS700.

Wanna talk about the pocket? I have no idea what the AF is like. The AF on the FS700 is no way in the same league as many other cameras with reliable AF, like the Canon's you dismiss

I can't see the pocket having usable AF but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. I didn't dismiss the older Canons,  just said that for me, they were a non starter. I did say they created lovely images if you'll remember.

It will be nice to see the handheld gimbals support more cameras but for now, the built in FF is rather limited.

But cameras like the C500 are much more of a 'proper cinema camera' but you decided to dismiss that based on 'spec'. So is it spec-dollar or how 'proper cinema camera' it is? The FS700 is in the handicam NEX group. That is the type of camera it is. It does a LOT for the money... But it is no better made than a GH5 or Pocket Cinema Camera... But it is bigger, hallow and plastic (the GH5 is magnesium alloy). 

Sigh indeed! I never dismissed the C500 on spec, I dismissed the C300. If I need a camera that shoots over 25 or 30p for my work (as I said I did) then how can I consider a camera that doesn't do what I need no matter how nice the colours? I did say that if you then consider the C500, you then still need to rig it up like the FS700 so it loses it's compact appeal AND it's a lot more expensive. Sure the C500 is a lovely camera but to match the FS700 you still need to add the Odyssey.

Its also not just about cost nor is it just about how much of a proper cine camera it is. Why do you have to pick one?

The NEX moniker says nothing about the FS700 as it is a completely different camera with the Odyssey to when it was released. The proof is in the pudding, my FS700 has been used on countless jobs and everything on it still works. NEX written on it or not, it has held up extremely well. 

They sure are. Seemingly though the FS700 is better than all of them... just 'coz. 

Sorry, where did I say the FS700 was a better camera...just coz? Have I not listed plenty of reasons why I think the FS700 is still a great camera in 2018....which is what the post is about? The post was not about 'which is the best camera in 2018 so not sure how you come to the conclution that I think the FS700 is better than everything else?

Sure if you are going to use a bodgy shoulder rig, a cinesaddle and a tripod you aren't going to need a truck. But every bit of gear needs to be considerable bigger, heavier and more expensive for a bigger camera. This is a simple fact. If you have a lot of grip, that does start to get huge and expensive. Up to the user, but these are issues that need to be solved by someone. Don't spread false information that it has no impact, either you are clueless or you are really just trying hard to beat the drum of the FS700. 

Um, I have real world experience with the FS700, how am I spreading false information? 

The only reason I'm still commenting on this thread is to dispel the incorrect information given by others.

"Bodgy shoulder rig" not required. FS700 has a relocatable hand grip with rec start/stop. you can set up the FS700 in a very similar way to the FS7. On smaller jobs with the FS7, despite it having an EVF, I still need to provide the director with an offside monitor most of the time so still need a 5 or 7" monitor hanging off it anyway. FS700 not too dissimilar. Now the FS7 is definitely more ergonomic, but FS700 can be built in a similar fashion without the deed for "bodgy shoulder rigs". False information on your part about needing something 'bodgey'

"FS700 footage always requires that you spend all you time fixing it in post". Not true, shoot Log and grade in post or shoot REC709 and happily hand the client the footage. 

"Requires a dedicated camera van" Also not true. 

"Is only usable on a tripod" you didnt say this but again, untrue.

Sure, it's bigger than a Pocket4K...that is obviously true. 

"has limited connectivity" Not true, as I said the Odyssey provides you with extra SDI outputs, audio outputs, LTC Timecode input and can all be powered by one power source if needed.

Ultimately, this is not a discussion that needs a winner as I have stated that different tools suit different people. I never said that the FS700 was better than anything else. For me, the FS700 is still great, that was the question. It's not the best camera out there like you seem to think I believe. I'm still looking forward to getting a Pocket4k in September :fingerscrossed:

Sorry about the wonky formatting. Can't seem to rectify it now that it's been posted.