1dc or 1dx Mark ii

Boygetslost

On 2/27/2018 at 9:55 PM, sam said:

shoot the 1dc with clog off and you have the same "modern"  look as the 1dxii.

unless you are using vintage glass, why not just shoot on a high end phone with a small stabilizer ?  They are just as good as the 1dc, gh5, or any cmos cam when viewed on YouTube on a tiny phone.

I have to say, I never cross shopped an iPhone against a dedicated camera... I don’t actually think anyone that is ready to cough up $6k plus for body only and maybe $15k-$20k on lenses, and accessories thinks.., “or I could just buy an iPhone?”

I have an iPhone X, Note8 and Pixel XL and other than when I am out casually, they never see use for video. Smartphones are  great for convenience, but for serious productions I prefer to have external monitors, I run matte boxes, I manually focus... as a way to direct the story... which means I need reasonable dof. I like low-light capability as I can use less lights. 

I do have a set of Moment lenses for the iPhone X, but honestly seldom use them, as they defeat the purpose of the smartphone camera... convenience.

The new Sony ZX2 sports a HDR camera. It is the first smartphone to be able to capture HDR video. So I will be curious to see how it looks. But I can tell you now, it won’t be replacing any of my dedicated cameras.

If it’s about money... or purely a creative choice, then shooting on a smartphone might be justified. But other than that there are better options.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, sam said:

the bike analogy. I like it.  used to race bikes.  state champ when I was 16. 

have a pro pedal your $1k bike (iphone)

put a bystander on a $60k bike (alexa)

I think you already know the winner.  

you mentioned aluminum being in short supply.  maybe borrow some black wrap from the grip.

It was a joke about the aluminium foil they had to use to fight overheating in the video. Overheating, inconsistencies (shots were different, even if they were shot continually). 

Is a very useful video, because unlike the other videos you posted, in this one they DID try to make a short 30 seconds video production, and not just some random limited shots. Also in the videos you posted the people say about how the image falls apart in night, and how the image of iPhone (which admittedly is great for what it is, I do own one of the modern smartphones shooting 4K and all, and was higher scoring than the previous iPhone in imaging capabilities) is baked in, and not really able to do much.

Also, why everyone on forums talks about "the iPhone this" and "the iPhone that", the top camera phones at the moment are 

1) Samsung Galaxy S9+ 2) Google Pixel 2 3) Huawei Mate 10 Pro 4) Galaxy Note 8 , and I do not see a lot of films in Hollywood (or even Bollywood) made by any of these. Sure, Samsung and Huawei and Google are rich enough to pay someone to shoot a film with their phones, I am certain that will become the norm, now that phones have plateuaed is other specs, and the fighting happens at the camera department.

Anyways, this phones cost close to 1000$ when new, with 400$ you can buy an excellent older flagship or todays mid-tier phone, with great snap shot capabilities to replace your old Ixus point and shoots, and with 500$ can buy a new camera that can be many times better for photo and video, even from the top Galaxy S9+.

I do not follow youtubers much, but this is a similar argument CaseyNeistat did in one of his videos. Watch at 4:19 and the chart he did.

Camera market from Aspirational to Pro . Starts with Point N Shoot, goes to SLR and reaches Red territory. Where are the phones you ask? Well, at the back of the card, there is another segment CASUAL As F#$% = just use your PHONE

look at instagram and the billions of pics shot on a phone and filtered to death.

people love it.

look at the compressed to f&%!% audio people stream to $20 speakers where most of that $20 went into marketing and shipping said speakers to your door.

people love it.

see the trend yet?

@sam I just love this discussion, although for fairness to the OP, it probably should be made a new topic.

But I will briefly say that on some level you’re right... it’s just where your level begins and ends. For YouTube videos, I would agree that at $500 or less, the iPhone is probably good enough if you’re only making videos for YouTube. But at a higher price point, the differences in IQ will be obvious, even on a small screen.

I view all videos from every camera on my phone first and then I’ll watch them on a 40” TV to see how they hold up. Surprisingly, a lot of cameras look good on a smartphone. And surprisingly... a lot don’t.

An iPhone will not compete with a 1DC even on a 3” screen. But other, less expensive cameras will close the gap. But very few sub $3000 cameras will have the mojo the 1DC has... big screen, little screen... any screen.

So to keep this on topic and to offer advice to the OP from someone who has never used either camera but has watched tons of videos from both... the 1DC has some special sauce that is missing from the 1DXii. But the 1DXii is no slouch and I have seen some gorgeous, next level videos shot with it. So it really comes down to features... if you need great AF at up to 60p 4K... it’s pretty simple.

Now I’m sure a lot of people are familiar with this guy’s work, but every time I watch this video, I am mesmerized...

And that one leads me to this one from the same filmmaker...

I know which one I would pick, but every body’s needs are different.