IT'S HAPPENING...

Matthew Hartman

As someone born in the analogue period, part of me loves the idea of going back to simpler times.

I waited until 2009 before getting my first mobile, haven't used one for almost a year now, and love it. I see it as a luxury not to be reachable.

A sister company recently brought back the classic Nokia 3310 for those who want to take back their lives for next to nothing. Problems is that, few other will join you there.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/magazine/red-dots-badge-phones-notification.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

As much as I like the idea of having a gadget that can do everything, I do hate the fact that it constantly takes my mind off the present moment. How can I then capture it? 

So going on the opposite side an idea like this is more appealing to me:

I can tell you as an industry UX Designer there is nothing "light" about this device, other than the obvious stripped down UI. The problem isn't our devices, it's our phycology. The devices exploit our phycology but they aren't the root of that issue, only a side effect, and not the only one. They are a mirror that shows us or tendency to avoid anything painful.

I appreciate what this company is trying to acheive, because I think it's trying to address a real issue. I just don't agree with the approach. It's no different than chaining the refrigerator when your doctor tells you you've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Sure, you inherently lose weight and reverse the disease, but you have only changed the exterior symptom of a deeper cause. As soon as those chains are released, you're headed for a relapse. You're not addressing the core behavior and what's driving it. 

A healthy person would and should be able to have a healthy and balanced relationship with their digital life irregardless of the vehicle they use to acheive it. 

I'll let you guys in on an industry secret. Many in my field use devices very little in our personal lives. Maybe it's because we design for them 10 hours a day, but I would be lying if I said part of our job isn't an exploitation of people's insecurities and increasing desire for instant gratification as ordered by business objectives. 

Anything used to sooth, hide, aviod, escape negative feelings can become an addiction, smartphones are no exception. What we need (and have) are programs that detox people's addiction to their digital life. The trick here, is not to replace it with another type of addiction. 

A good trend that we're seeing in our industry is a push to make technology more automated and "headless", meaning AI anticipates user intent without the user having to interface with a visual UI at all, which translates to no face burried in screen. We're a lot closer to this than the general public is made aware of, meaning it's already here, albeit in unrefined form.

By large, most camera tech is slightly to moderately behind the technology curve. What you're really getting in that brand new shiny camera is already 1-3 years old when it gets released unto the world. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2018 at 12:45 PM, Don Kotlos said:

Ha no, I wasn't planning to use the phone for videos I have a camera for that... Would you ever plan to use your phone's microphone?  :) 

No, but I often enough use the mic input on my phone for quick casual vlogs.