LENS RECCOMENDATIONS...

Matthew Hartman

So in my consideration and anticipation of getting the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k I'm pitching to this community on glass reccomendations. 

My budget is $1,000 max, so please keep that in mind when making reccomendations. I don't mind used/refurbished as long as in good/working condition. 

Some other criteria:

1.) Fast Zoom, with AF and decent range, obviously on the EF mount system.

Max constant acceptable apeture would be f2.8. (Knowing the low light limitations of the camera) 

2.) Not looking for Cine glass, as this would get rented specifically for budgeted shoots. Most likely Cooke Mini or Ziess primes on PL. 

Even though I prefer primes, I want to go zoom (constant aperture) because for personal projects and practice I just want to use one or two lens'. I have a Edelkrone follow focus with a gear ring, so photography glass is fine. 

Right now I've got my eye on the Sigma Art 1.8 16-35mm. Good? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Right now I've got my eye on the Sigma Art 1.8 16-35mm. Good? 

You mean the 18-35mm

This together with the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 and the Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 will give you the "Holy Trinity" of still zooms for APS-C / S35

Do it!

Another option is one of those 16/17/18mm to 50mm f2.8 third party zooms which you can get for cheap secondhand for a few hundred dollars. Or maybe even the classic 24-70mm f2.8 from a third party manufacturer. 

As while I love my 18-35mm, there are times I don't need the f1.8 as f2.8 is still plenty fast but I really appreciate that extra reach over 35mm

The Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 is a nice lens... I believe it is used on the Narcos show. But don’t underestimate a fast lens with these cameras. These images will get noisy fast, so it really helps to have that fast lens to keep your ISO levels low. 

With that being said, I would recommend a good two lens setup. A zoom lens like the aforementioned 18-35mm or Canon 17-55mm which would be your walk around go to lens but then get one fast Prime in your favorite focal length for lower light, shallow depth, and your money shots.

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

The Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 is a nice lens... I believe it is used on the Narcos show. But don’t underestimate a fast lens with these cameras. These images will get noisy fast, so it really helps to have that fast lens to keep your ISO levels low. 

With that being said, I would recommend a good two lens setup. A zoom lens like the aforementioned 18-35mm or Canon 17-55mm which would be your walk around go to lens but then get one fast Prime in your favorite focal length for lower light, shallow depth, and your money shots.

You're talking about this guy?

https://www.adorama.com/us 955478.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqbvTBRAPEiwANEkyCHwMN8x9dl59ZW00vbwS7qhSLS9OMIXsKP0Oykti9_ZSDUFQJj--yRoCWhAQAvD_BwE

12 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Yup, that’s the one. Of course you can probably do a little better on eBay, if you have some patience. 

And here’s a lowlight video with the Canon lens on the Ursa...

And here’s some beautiful 2K ProRes shot with that Canon lens...

20 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Interesting point there. That would certainly bring down the price too. 

If you do buy a mid range f2.8 zoom and don't get the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, then don't rob yourself completely of a super lowlight fast option! Get one or two primes on the cheap to help yourself out in a pinch.

50mm f1.8 lenses are always dirt dirt cheap, so get that at least. Although a fast 35mm or 24mm is likely more useful in my opinion if you only have one.

Anyone can have this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158443-REG/yongnuo_yn35mm_f2_yn_35mm_f_2_lens.html Better than nothing in an emergency.

Or other options:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-Samyang-Canon-EF-24mm-f-1-4-Aspherical-ED-UMC-Lens-For-Canon/282813284219
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Sigma-AF-24mm-f1-8-EX-DG-Macro-Lens-24-1-8-Canon-EF/272788802326

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you do buy a mid range f2.8 zoom and don't get the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, then don't rob yourself completely of a super lowlight fast option! Get one or two primes on the cheap to help yourself out in a pinch.

50mm f1.8 lenses are always dirt dirt cheap, so get that at least. Although a fast 35mm or 24mm is likely more useful in my opinion if you only have one.

Anyone can have this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158443-REG/yongnuo_yn35mm_f2_yn_35mm_f_2_lens.html Better than nothing in an emergency.

Or other options:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-Samyang-Canon-EF-24mm-f-1-4-Aspherical-ED-UMC-Lens-For-Canon/282813284219
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Sigma-AF-24mm-f1-8-EX-DG-Macro-Lens-24-1-8-Canon-EF/272788802326

I'm definitely leaning towards the Sigma 18-35 1.8 art. I'm seeing online that even a couple stops can make a pretty meaningful difference in terms of this camera and low light.

I know myself too well bro. I'm fucking OCD when it comes to IQ. If there's noise that Neat Video can't take care of at a reasonable exposure I'm going to obsess in the most unhealthiest of ways. I'm a lunatic. 

I assume of course you are remember to distinguish between the 4K and 4.6K when looking at reviews/opinions online? 

As the 4K sensor indeed crazy bad in lowlight, as you're basically stuck with just one ISO

11 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I know myself too well bro. I'm fucking OCD when it comes to IQ. If there's noise that Neat Video can't take care of at a reasonable exposure I'm going to obsess in the most unhealthiest of ways. I'm a lunatic. 

Have you considered the 12 Step Program?

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I assume of course you are remember to distinguish between the 4K and 4.6K when looking at reviews/opinions online? 

As the 4K sensor indeed crazy bad in lowlight, as you're basically stuck with just one ISO

Have you considered the 12 Step Program?

No, but I'm definitely considering 15 Stops of dynamic range. ?