UHD: Panasonic HC-X1 vs Sony AX100

FoxAdriano

Hi, now I use a Sony AX100 for my UHD video documentaries around the world (look at my signature). I'd like to buy a videocamera that can give a better image quality, otherwise I will continue to film with Sony AX100. I mean better definition, chromatism, color quality, etc. My budget is around 4000-4500 euro. I think Panasonic HC-X1 is a good videocamera but it has two handicaps for me. It is the bigger and heavier than my Sony AX100. I can think to buy it only if this videocamera gives a real better and clear image quality that my Sony AX100. I watched many videos on the Internet but I can't trust them. I need your suggestions, above all if you use or used both Panasonic HC-X1 vs Sony AX100. Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want to stick with an camcorder with an integrated lens then I say stick with your AX100 for now. 

As you're not going to get a leap forward within that category, unless you move to S35 interchangeable lenses cameras such as a Panasonic EVA1.

If you needed some specific feature such as timecode or SDI output, then it is worthwhile spending money to upgrade your AX100. But for general image quality? You could do a little better, but not massively better with your current budget.

I'd say wait out another generation of cameras, and then you'll see a leap forward that is big enough to justify spending money to upgrade your AX100.

For instance maybe the upgrade to the Panasonic DVX200 might use the new sensor in the GH5S? And maybe it will add 4K 10bit internal? That could be a nice camcorder to have!

I just don't think there is going to be to much improvement in the low end sector of Camcorders anymore. I would not be surprised many people buy them at all now.

The Panasonic HC-X1 does look like a nice way to go also. I can see some good headway on them in that price range because that is what a Lot of TV stations are using for ENG work on interviews now. They are not using them at big events, they still are using Full sized ones with B4 lenses on them.

Probably very few people on here really use smaller camcorders. Unless you need the reach lens wise, or are backpacking like I am sure you do, they are not much in favor now. But you sure do have some nice stuff on your You Tube link. Man I feel guilty wanting a Alexa LoL.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I just don't think there is going to be to much improvement in the low end sector of Camcorders anymore.

Agreed that I feel the sub $2K market won't see much of an improvement. Just like how point and shoot stills cameras have mostly died out, and are seeing no improvement on the low end (only 1" sensor P&S are seeing some progress forward, but at the high end of the P&S market). 

But the $4K market for camcorders still has a place for some self shooting journalists and such.  It is not dead, yet.

19 hours ago, FoxAdriano said:

I use a Sony AX100 for my UHD video documentaries around the world

Very nice work!   My opinion is that you've already bought the perfect camera for what you're doing.  If you want your documentaries to have a more "film" look than you need a camera that shoots RAW.  Only RAW will give you that individual pixel grain/color look that is washed away by 8-bit video compression.  You could either get a Canon 5D3 and use Magic Lantern, or get a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera BMPCC.  With the Panny 12-35mm/2.8 lens you should be all set.  It's small, perfect for what you're doing.  However, this technology is NOT easy or fast.  It requires a fast computer and patience.  If you want to see if you can see a difference, then look at videos that were shot using RAW cameras.  

Here's something I found searching "Brazil and BMPCC", not best shooting, but gives you an idea