Acoustic Music Video - Feedback

Lovund

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That was really awesome! My only comment would be the kaleidoscope / flaring effect on the left. It was kind of cool when I first noticed it, but then it became very distracting. That could be because the mask is almost exactly the same the entire time though. Other than that, I thought the camera was a little too shakey when the singer came on, but that didn't last long and kind of added to the intimacy of that section of the song. 

The lighting was awesome though, and as soon as I though 'oh I wish there was more closeups of the orchestra' bam, there it was haha.

Edit: Was the audio recorded there and then too? 

14 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

That was really awesome! My only comment would be the kaleidoscope / flaring effect on the left. It was kind of cool when I first noticed it, but then it became very distracting. That could be because the mask is almost exactly the same the entire time though. Other than that, I thought the camera was a little too shakey when the singer came on, but that didn't last long and kind of added to the intimacy of that section of the song. 

The lighting was awesome though, and as soon as I though 'oh I wish there was more closeups of the orchestra' bam, there it was haha.

Edit: Was the audio recorded there and then too? 

Yeah we we're supposed to play more around with the glass prisms (it's in-camera), but time ran by way too quickly. It was mounted in front of the lens. The handheld camera shake at the beginning was done to make it feel more intimate and real.

We did the audio recording first, because the orchestra can't play as accurate in dim lighting (notes and conductor) Also the backlights had a hiss sound. The wide shots are shot on the GH5 with a ronin.

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Wow Kygo!  that's pretty a cool accomplishment to film for a huge artist. The GH5 certainly cuts well here. That opening shot where he was walking, is that on a gimbal as well? I loved the colors as well

Thanks! I'm working for him full time. Every shot is filmed handheld with the ARRI except the wide orchestra ones which is shot on the GH5. 

7 minutes ago, Lovund said:

Thanks! I'm working for him full time. Every shot is filmed handheld with the ARRI except the wide orchestra ones which is shot on the GH5. 

That would be a fun gig. Just curious if you don't mind sharing, what frame rates did you shoot at? Anyways cool video!

First, very nice looking!  A gazillion times better than anything I could do!  So please take my thoughts in that context.

Without the right juxtaposition, all art, from music to film, breaks the spell, which can only be one.  What is the spell you're trying to get the viewer under?  

I start, I'm following a guy walking down an alley.  It seems very confined.  Has a title, am I in a James Bond movie, who is this guy?  Then a swoosh sound.  And I'm now with him in a building, a large stage, smokey light, a piano-- another young guy.  Is the film really about the piano guy, both of them?  The other guys starts singing.  I see him from one angle, then another, then another.  Then an orchestra.  But no one is in the audience.  Why?  Why a big orchestra and no people?  Then he's singing close to the mic.  then he's singing far away from the mic.  Lips don't see perfectly in sync with music--okay it's a music video.

A music video.

So my question is, were you directing to create a story or just filming?  Something to think about next time maybe.

I thought this a very interesting analysis of music videos done by David Fincher, if you haven't seen it.

Lookin good. Proves another time that GH5 can be combined with an Alexa:) Lighting and blocking is really cool. Just the two lads are not quiet as cool as the Rolling Stones or White Stripes or Danko Jones or Lemmy of course :) Sorry, had to put this up as juxtaposition, Hallo @maxotics:)

Anyhow, impressive what you achieved in such a small time frame. The result is stellar looking.