Favorite focal for Gimbal use

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First, the Voigtlander weighs a whopping 1.29 pounds, so there’s that. Secondly, it costs $1,100, so I think it’s fair to expect outstanding optical quality. It isn’t really 10.5mm either, so comparing it to an AF lens that is optically superior and 40% lighter, like the Leica 12mm is not unfair. The Laowa 7.5mm f/2 is compact, costs half as much as either of the above and weighs only 6 oz. You can easily slip it in your pocket. The Voigtlander shots in the above images have little depth, sparkle or sharpness and the out of focus areas aren’t especially good either. They look smeared and smudgy. In the food close ups, the 10.5mm lags behind the other lenses. 

For me it seems obvious that was extremely hard task to make UW lens with enormous light transmission capability of 0.95 lens matching rest of the line - even for such a great constructors. Not that there are mistakes - rather chosen compromises. Maybe, in spite of all these compromises, Godsend for those who have to often shoot with T1.1 avoiding high ISO. Even at lenstip test there's one (single) praised point: sharpness in the center even at 0.95 - for some usage and for someone it may be the most important. What is attractive is (for many) special and unbeatable - for cinematic result in Panny sharp sensor - Voigt's rendering. But I had not it in my hand.

Please don't be bored with one more example, in lowlight, for consideration and exchanging thoughts

@jonpais

I had no 10.5 in hands - but I supposed wide open in gimbal is very very hard to focus on one subject? Although there are many shots on youtube from a man teacher-etc. wiht just walking or running with it. I was twice outbided in GB (in London is the most attentive friend in West willing to help me) ebay market - but it is not at all hard to outbid me :)  Argument - at the first place curiosity; second, to match my other Voigts; third un-usability of GH5 over 1600 for longer shots - although, as I tested, NR in Resolve or Neat Video match GH5 with GH5s regarding noise at iso3200.

But, I'm very cautious with my acquisitions - always also have to think about reselling step. It is pretty hard to resell 10.5 here.

Regarding other UW options, I'm not impressed also - but, luckily, UW shots are highly rare in my needs. Laowa 7.5, of course, look nice - but rendering looks un peau sterile comparing with Voigts, although for rare shots it doesn't matter. Panny/Oly lenses... from some reason I never kept any except Oly 75mm (I had no chance to try new Oly pro prime trio). Simply put - too artificially contrasted and mostly unnatural oversharpened (and luck of tactile impression).  Using with bluring filter - maybe or yes, but I don't feel good beeing forced to further by myself adapt high price lenses. I'm guilty - my highest first criteria is pure enjoy in process of shooting: if I don't so like feeling lens in my hands, I never - it turned out always as spontaneous result - kept it (even SLR Magics).

Manual focus lenses on gimbal - my solutiion: thinking more about shot and repeating that I'm not high-energy promo shooter...

In China, precisely Guandong, there are sellers from whom you may buy new Voigt's for under 800euros. At the moment, friend of mine who lived there for 12 years is out of reach. If you have someone in Guandong or Hong Kong, that's internet adress

https://world.taobao.com/item/549640844485.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.IvPPNx#detail

Edit

For whom that may be interested - at the moment Adorama has great discount of SLR Magic 10mm bundle with excellent SLRM filter

https://www.adorama.com/slr1021mfnd2.html?utm_source=rflaid913528

On 12/7/2017 at 7:44 AM, jonpais said:

There's the Laowa 7.5mm f/2. With ETC enabled on the GH5, that comes out to 21mm FF equivalent.

Curious, do you see dispersion at the edges? I would think 7.5mm has a fisheye element no? 

I think in general it's best to go wide and set focus to infinity, unless you have reliable AF or a wireless follow focus system. 

I use a Rokinon 12mm and the native 16-50mm S lens on my NX1. I do alright.