Leica SL or Canon 1DX II?

Dave Maze

@EOSHD_Twitter has talked about both cameras quite a bit and I have recently become fascinated with the Leica SL for video. Obviously, the 1DX has the Dual Pixel AF, but has anyone had experience with the Leica SL autofocus? How does the internal 4k compare? The SL has a 10bit 4k out...They are both similar in price. Curious to know your thoughts. It seems that the SL was overpriced and overlooked pretty quickly in the video market...but that peaks my interest as the 1DC and digital bolex were also overlooked. 

I'm not sure if my interest in Leica SL is simply camera lust or not....probably lust. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Also, for the vast majority of us, they're purely luxury status items. 

A better buy for a videographer would be a Sony FS5, or heck you're almost getting into territory of a Panasonic EVA1 or secondhand FS7 (which would be a real workhorse).

I don't know that the Canon is a "luxury status item". The 1DXMk2 is a real workhorse of a camera. Low-light is great and reliability is first rate. The only negative would be the size. The Leica is certainly more of a luxury item... I checked one out at the Leica store in DC...  it's a lovely beast... money should not be a issues if you are considering a Leica system camera. So as I always say, why does one have to be mutually exclusive of the other? If you want a Leica and you want a EVA1... or FS7...  just buy both. 

That's nothing new and superwise - Leica still borrow its status from time when mechanical precision and craftmanship was the most important for signification of value.

As every handscraftmanship it once upon a time had semi-artistic dignity and it had to be respected as such and - payed.

Now, as all we know, times changed. Leica has to buy outer software and processor knowledge - new heart of photo-video items instead of pure mechanical precision and solidness - and precision per se is just matter of calculation of investments of every big players know-how equal competence.

Nowaday Leica camera brand depends of minimal user fan base and partially because of that is forced to ask for prices out of logic.

Feeling self as a part of an elite club - that's all, but ofr a time when football players earns million for week, actors of one movie gets year budget of midrange state and printing dollars is out of any control, it is quite normal.

1 hour ago, raf702 said:

Digital Bolex, such a one of a kind camera!

Finishing a commercial today that I shot on it! I still rent the bolex. My buddy has a full zeiss S16 lens set that goes with it. Love the image on that camera so so much. 

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

I don't know that the Canon is a "luxury status item". The 1DXMk2 is a real workhorse of a camera. Low-light is great and reliability is first rate. The only negative would be the size. The Leica is certainly more of a luxury item... I checked one out at the Leica store in DC...  it's a lovely beast... money should not be a issues if you are considering a Leica system camera. So as I always say, why does one have to be mutually exclusive of the other? If you want a Leica and you want a EVA1... or FS7...  just buy both. 

Are you still loving your 1DX II even with your GH5? What do you find yourself using most? 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:Finishing a commercial today that I shot on it! I still rent the bolex. My buddy has a full zeiss S16 lens set that goes with it. Love the image on that camera so so much. 

Are you still loving your 1DX II even with your GH5? What do you find yourself using most? 

Honestly, I don’t love the size for casual use. Also, the Canon gets a lot of attention. That can be good or bad. The GH5 is invisible. The 1DXMK2 comes out when I need great stills. It’s a fantastic camera. It’s almost like cheating when trying to get the shot. Lately, the GH5 sees more action as I have convinced myself that it is the perfect all rounder. The new codec is easy to work with. Both in cpu load and flexibility in post. And while it might be a good all rounder, the Canon is the better stills camera, and the better low light camera. I still love the video from the 1DXMK2, but if planning to do heavy post work, the GH5 would be my first choice of the two. Otherwise, the straight out of camera footage is plenty good.

15 hours ago, DBounce said:

I don't know that the Canon is a "luxury status item". The 1DXMk2 is a real workhorse of a camera.

For all but a tiny tiny tiny niche of readers here, the 1D X mk2 would indeed be a luxury item. 
And I bet a not insignificant portion of 1D X mk2 sales go to rich dentists/accountants/lawyers/doctors/etc

15 hours ago, DBounce said:

If you want a Leica and you want a EVA1... or FS7...  just buy both. 

Ha! "Just buy both" is not that simple at all for most people.