Mini doc filmed 2 years ago on XF100 - I need feedback

Anaconda_

Hey guys,

So 2 years ago I filmed a documentary about myself filming at a film festival in France, using my trusty Canon XF100. I then quickly forgot about the footage because I bought a new camera and wanted to edit with that footage instead of going back to the XF.  - Bad planning on my part, but better late than never I guess.

Recently I found I had some spare time on my hands so decided to actually do something with this film, and here is the result. I'd love some feedback! Is it too long? Does it give enough info? What's missing? Is it even interesting?

Disclaimer: I've never spent anytime in front of a camera, so that was a novel experience for me. enjoy!

I planned, wrote, presented, filmed, audio-ed, edited and voiceover-ed the whole piece. In fact the only thing that not me is the music... but I did chose it.

The watermarked clips, while shot by me, were for another company. Thankfully, they've kindly let me use that footage with the watermark.

Please, don't hold anything back.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey, actually is pretty good! The shot selection is good, the voice over is nice. I thought the scene in the car, talking about border safety was a bit too much, and you stayed a lot on yourself in front of the "sit down interviews" building. Also, the safety thing that played a "major" role in the beginning, didn't really went anywhere, it seemed that it could be a nice (and deeper) sub plot. Also, you really like Keanu!

Had the same camera and tripod bag for so many years!

Thanks guys! Yeah such a shame I didn't focus on those army guys more when I was there.. D'uh. It's funny going back to the footage 2 years later, I keep laughing and saying out loud 'Why did I do that?' - Nice to see how far I've come since this haha! Maybe I can dig some parts out to add to that theme.

Yeah there's a lot of waffle in here, I'm going to go back to it and cut out the bits about finding it hard to shoot broll of myself, and also the bits about shooting against the sun etc. Having had time to think about it, those parts are too technical for your average viewer, while the rest isnt' technical enough for people in the field. 

The long and short is, I'll cut it in half and make it more interesting to people who don't have technical knowledge about cameras etc.

Thanks again for the feedback!

@Anaconda_

DUDE!! THIS WAS AWESOME!! It felt like a TV show. Really amazing! 

I will say, YouTube is a totally different type of medium and needs to be treated as such. The format and layout are totally different than TV or Movies. All I would add to this video is a call to action at the end if doing this more often is something you want to do. 

I disagree with @fuzzynormal  The length was great! You have to remember, youtube's motive is to keep people on their site as long as possible, so if you can create engaging content and keep peoples watch time up, then you will win. The film never got boring or stagnant. I loved all of it. Don't change it and make another one! Just bang it out. 

ALSO, side note, I'm thinking of picking up the new Canon XF400 for YouTube. This video really made me love the camcorder look that you can get using a good camera. 

Wow thanks Dave, great to hear! I loved my XF100, even with it's limitations and the size is so easy to carry around. If fit in the bag I had in this film snuggly next to the big camera and barely added any weight.

There's still a few things I'd like to tidy up about it though, one of the shots outside the very grand building when I"m talking about b-roll is very dark for some reason, so while I"m fixing that, and some audio issues, I'm going to trim some of the fat. I'll post the new version here when I get around to it.. Hopefully sometime this week.

10 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I disagree with @fuzzynormal  The length was great! You have to remember, youtube's motive is to keep people on their site as long as possible

Well, that's perfectly fine, but distribution consideration are hardly the best reasons to make a decision about one's story.

My critique (granted, very much in-articulated) was that the material felt like it would only need half the time to be productive.  The story is redundant in places.