Chicago II - GH5 + SLR Magic 2x 50mm Anamorphic

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, tweak said:

Why would you want to compensate for distortion? That's the best part! :D 

Yeah I know, I like image charracter and "imperfections" a lot too. :)

One of the main reasons I always shoot with vintage glass, anamorphic or spherical.

But sometimes too much is too much. That's why asked if it is easily fixed when you want lines to be straight.

7 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Its definitely in a different league when using it with IBIS. If you hold fairly still it works perfectly. Any movement back and forth, side to side, or walking it becomes wobbly.

Any movement on wide anamorphics of the camera, have always been problematic anyway...your results are actually remarkably good, considering you're shooting handheld on a 2x...both the SLRMagic and the GH5 are very impressive in your footage!.. locked off...as is really the most practical way to use a 2x this would be a killer combo!!

5 hours ago, Teemu said:

@AaronChicago have you tried to compensate that 35mm distortion in post? I mean distortion post correction. 

Or does it need so much stretch for the image that it comes more or less pointless?

Also can you share your experience on close focus. Its like +100cm (3'6 feet) away from the lens, right?

Have you tried some diopters with the 50mm?

I have experienced that I am always wanting to get even closer with anamorphic lenses. Even that my modified FM lens + Kowa can focus as close as 40cm. And that is without any diopters.

What ND solution you use? Am I right that these SLR Magic 2x Anamorphic primes does rotate from the front when focused, so it might be a problem with VariND...

Many questions but I hope you could share your thoughts and experiences on these things. Thanks in advance!

-Teemu-

I have 4 diopters, I really only use the +2 which will allow about 1 ft away focus. I just have one ND that I use with it. 0.9. I never needed anything stronger outside since I was at ISO 400 and 60p. Going up to T8 actually looks really good IMO. 

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I have 4 diopters, I really only use the +2 which will allow about 1 ft away focus. I just have one ND that I use with it. 0.9. I never needed anything stronger outside since I was at ISO 400 and 60p. Going up to T8 actually looks really good IMO. 

What do you think of the Edelkrone Motion Kit?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 6:33 PM, AaronChicago said:

Hey, thanks. I'm trying to improve on anamorphic framing. The 50mm does have some distortion but I kinda like the look. Compared to the 35 it's a lot less. That one is almost like a fish eye. 

You are a brave man shooting 2x anamorphic hand held.... ;-)

Very nice framing, and I like the choice of color grading. I've only had the experience of one clip hand-held with the SLR Magic 2x adapter but on a GH4. It did show it's possible but not something I'd undertake for a lot of footage. I was surprised at how much distortion (curvature) there was in your footage, since my experience with a 50mm taking lens and other footage I have seen shows very little. Again, I was shooting on a GH4 where there is a crop factor, so perhaps that helped mitigate the distortion if it was there. Shooting with the combination on the GH5 is on the project list.

The one thing I find is of the utmost importance when shooting anamorphic, is keeping the horizontal plane of the camera as steady as possible. As you mention, minor motion on that axis leads to issues. It is a little less critical with 1.33x lenses, but still necessary. 

Thanks for sharing.

29 minutes ago, stoneinapond said:

The one thing I find is of the utmost importance when shooting anamorphic, is keeping the horizontal plane of the camera as steady as possible. As you mention, minor motion on that axis leads to issues. It is a little less critical with 1.33x lenses, but still necessary.

That's why I've always appreciated steady shots, I guess ;-)