Will Robots Take Your Job?

Orangenz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I put in Photographers and was surprised to see it was only 2% as I can see definitely technology emerging that will make the capture part of the process far more automated. 

However, underneath Photographers was Models.

Now then, surely we must all be very worried considering the score given for them.....

Although, on the other hand, I can see an awful lot of undatable nerds getting ready to welcome this apparently imminent army of fembots.

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/41-9012-models

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I put in Photographers and was surprised to see it was only 2% as I can see definitely technology emerging that will make the capture part of the process far more automated. 

Why? In what genre? If someone is just a picture taker and that's his only skill then of course automation could potentially harm him because he relies only on the capture part. Digital is already harming picture takers, anyway. Great capture part is more often than not basic requirement to an award winning photograph nowadays. It's one piece of the puzzle (least important, IMHO). I'd love not to have to worry about AF/DOF/retouching people and just get on with what's important in the photo ;). Automation of the capture part only could wipe off bottom end of "photographers". Admittedly, this could be most people who think they're photographers nowadays? We would need to define who a photographer is in the first place and then run this algorithm ;).  

• Super Members
2 hours ago, tomekk said:

Why? In what genre? If someone is just a picture taker and that's his only skill then of course automation could potentially harm him because he relies only on the capture part. Digital is already harming picture takers, anyway. Great capture part is more often than not basic requirement to an award winning photograph nowadays. It's one piece of the puzzle (least important, IMHO). I'd love not to have to worry about AF/DOF/retouching people and just get on with what's important in the photo ;). Automation of the capture part only could wipe off bottom end of "photographers". Admittedly, this could be most people who think they're photographers nowadays? We would need to define who a photographer is in the first place and then run this algorithm ;).  

I'll give you one example that isn't at a low end where people don't just think they're photographers.

Light field capture will massively impact the area where I now work of sports photography.

A live event like a football match can sustain the number of photographers it does (120+ at major events like CL Final) because of diversity of coverage from around a large field of play. When that can be achieved by several fixed position devices then the human work switches to the editors. As a lot of editing is done off camera remotely anyway now this will not be new jobs created either. So that will be the end of those photography jobs as the editors will have the raw material to work from themselves.

With light field, you certainly won't have to worry about AF and DOF again.

I don't remember what they're called but there are already robots for some television broadcast like podcasts and stuff, kinda like the way Google hangouts automatically switches the source to whoevers talking. So in broadcasting world robots are already starting to take over, and I guess a lot of editing will be assisted by this technology but I really don't believe it will replace anything with complexity such as a music video or art.

• Super Members

BTW, pretty sure Canon already held such an event when they released the first 4K DSLR back in 2013.. must be one hell of a party if its still going and adding more people to the crew :)

4 minutes ago, sondreg said:

I don't remember what they're called but there are already robots for some television broadcast like podcasts and stuff, kinda like the way Google hangouts automatically switches the source to whoevers talking. So in broadcasting world robots are already starting to take over, and I guess a lot of editing will be assisted by this technology but I really don't believe it will replace anything with complexity such as a music video or art.

Yup, my first contact with a fully preprogrammed and automated TV-studio was back in 2005-2007. 
And it was used for national broadcast of a kids television show. 
Pretty nifty with an editing timeline ready even before shooting. Camera movement, repositioning, zooms, focus, cuts, lights, all automated from a preprogramed timeline.
They had one operator standing buy incase they wanted to go in different direction but it wasn't really needed.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

BTW, pretty sure Canon already held such an event when they released the first 4K DSLR back in 2013.. must be one hell of a party if its still going and adding more people to the crew :)

Damn, I knew I should've put sub £3000 in brackets after DSLR ;)

9 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, my first contact with a fully preprogrammed and automated TV-studio was back in 2005-2007. 
And it was used for national broadcast of a kids television show. 
Pretty nifty with an editing timeline ready even before shooting. Camera movement, repositioning, zooms, focus, cuts, lights, all automated from a preprogramed timeline.
They had one operator standing buy incase they wanted to go in different direction but it wasn't really needed.

The BBC use them for BBC News and it doesn't always go well.

My favourite ones are when the content seems to trip the boredom circuit and the cameras just wander off

• Super Members

On a lower level, the Mevo from Livestream is a pretty cool trick faking multi camera from a static shot.

If they made this as a box you could plug any 4K camera into (rather than its own go pro-ish internal one) it would be a big seller I think.

DataVideo make a higher end one but its £5K. If BlackMagic made it then it probably would be the same price as the Mevo but not sure if they would as it would impact their ATEM product sales.

• Super Members
36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I paid less than that for my 1DC over a year ago :)
But still, it wasn't a very good camera imho compared to a 5Dmkiii or the LS300 I swapped to.

Yeah like all robots those studios sometimes go off. But so could an operator. As a producer I would just analyze cost vs fail frequency vs time saved vs etc.
If it saves both time and money without any real loss in quality... sold (unfortunately).

59 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The BBC use them for BBC News and it doesn't always go well.

My favourite ones are when the content seems to trip the boredom circuit and the cameras just wander off

That's a pretty incredible number of robot bloopers. Don't the teams talk to each other?