200D makes EOS M5 redundant?

ntblowz

Basically same function as EOS-M5 for half the price, minus EVF and EIS but comes with fully articulated touchscreen and same DPAF!

Makes me want to ditch A5100 for it.. the only Sony camera I have left, even in winter it still overheat arghh

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why would you get either when the old 100D (£200) and EOS M (£120) shoot 10bit raw video?

Well I dont shoot raw and doesn't care about it, this cam will be used for client or temp assistant that don't really know how to operate camera, so touchscreen dpaf will be huge help lol.

9 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The Raw out of the M leaves a lot to be desired imo.
But as a stills camera its very fun and ML gives it a distance scale for zone focus.

Raw out of either of those cams is fun but not amazing imo. 7D and beyond is where it becomes practical for me. I have a few eosm lying around now that I rarely touch except if I want to take out a small stills camera.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, tweak said:

Raw out of either of those cams is fun but not amazing imo. 7D and beyond is where it becomes practical for me. I have a few eosm lying around now that I rarely touch except if I want to take out a small stills camera.

I am under the impression 10bit RAW the same quality on the EOS M as the 100D and 70D...

Have you actually tried it?

1600 x 864 (1.85:1) 10bit RAW is continuous according to the raw calculator.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am under the impression 10bit RAW the same quality on the EOS M as the 100D and 70D...

Have you actually tried it?

1600 x 864 (1.85:1) 10bit RAW is continuous according to the raw calculator.

Will that look better downscaled to 720p or upscaled to 1080p? I've always liked the idea of 720p Raw.

Any word if the 10bit variant cures the pink dot issue?

I'll have to pull mine out from the depths of my gear closet and give this a test one of these days. I have a bunch of c-mounts just dying to get used. 

I'm under the impression 10bit raw doesn't really work 100% properly from my tests with Eosm (also 7D). Not to mention the benefits of Raw are much more apparent at a minimum of 12bit on theses cams, if I was going to shoot 10bit I'd just buy a different camera (almost any panasonic 4K cam and down sample to 1080). 

I've used eosM quite a bit for 14bit raw, but I got really sick of the focus pixels and the extra hassle of getting rid of them. That new app for Mac cuts down the process, but still you're pretty limited with it. 

For me 7D is truly the cutoff point, any less quality than that and I can't be bothered with it, unless I was doing an 8mm emulation video or something.