'Convert' your 72mm SLR Magic Rangefinder into 77mm

Timotheus

Heads up to users of the 72mm version of the SLR Magic Rangefinder (the discontinued one without distance markings)...

The rear 72mm attachment ring on mine had some rotational play. I decided to see if I could remove it. I succeeded, turned out the connector was a step ring glued on! Underneath a 77mm thread, just like the one with distance markings. See pictures.

Trying to remove the step ring (at your own risk ;-)) might be worth it as it brings the RF closer to the attached anamorphic glass, benefiting vignetting.

Conclusion: both versions of the Rangefinder are mechanically the same. The budget version just misses distance markings and got a step ring tacked on (!).

IMG_20170625_005018.jpg

IMG_20170625_005051.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Grimor said:

Mine seens to be glued. Hard to take it appart without strap wrench or similar tool.

Any sugestion?

Mmm, tricky...mine got loose after unscrewing a rather tight fit. It then required little effort to remove and just soms acetone to clean the glue rests from the threads...

Perhaps you could try and wiggle with some filter wrenches?
Or try to get acetone on the threads to dissolve the glue :-/
It sure evaporates quickly, so even if you spill a little on the glass it shouldn't be too bad.

5 hours ago, Grimor said:

Do you remove this inner ring?

1498576541628-333955365.jpg

Congratulations on removing the step ring! Glad it worked out.

But that second ring...no, I left that on haha. Can you put it back? Does it have a screw thread as well? What does the RF look like without it?