SONY PMW F3 - "Direct Menu" where is it ?

Mihai Alexandru Enachi

Hello

I recently bought a pmw f3 camera and compared to pmw ex1 I can not activate the direct change of the shutter and other settings that appear on the screen by pressing the rear roller (next to the menu)

At Sony ex1 if I click on the roll I can change different states without going into the menu; This function is activated in: Others; Direct menu; Part / All / off

At sony f3 I searched the menu all over this possibility but I did not find how to activate it

If you know anything that could help me, I would be grateful to you

Thank you very much

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With the roll at the back, at pmw ex1 ex3 etc. can directly access all the camera settings that appear on the screen; I know that button you say, but it has nothing to do with what I asked ...

I understand that at pmw f3, did sony engineers consider it unnecessary to direct access by pressing the roller and have disabled that function?

6 hours ago, Mihai Alexandru Enachi said:

With the roll at the back, at pmw ex1 ex3 etc. can directly access all the camera settings that appear on the screen; I know that button you say, but it has nothing to do with what I asked ...

I understand that at pmw f3, did sony engineers consider it unnecessary to direct access by pressing the roller and have disabled that function?

DVX user has a sub forum where they would definitely be able to answer your question. I use the F3 regularly and I just assumed there was no workaround for this. Changing to 60p/422 3g/shutter speed is a serious pain when going from 24p to 60p... 

25 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

You don't just use the S&Q control? And using shutter angle keeps everything scaled to your frame rate, so that's what I use: 144° when flicker is a factor, 180° when it's not.

That's a good idea... I usually go up to 1/250 to get a little bit smoother slow motion. 

Not sure the S&Q will work in my case. I have to go into the menu and switch to 3G output from 1.5G for single SDI 60p to the video assist.

50 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

That's a good idea... I usually go up to 1/250 to get a little bit smoother slow motion. 

Not sure the S&Q will work in my case. I have to go into the menu and switch to 3G output from 1.5G for single SDI 60p to the video assist.

Hm... I'll have to take a look at that. Only got my F3 a couple months ago and haven't hooked it up to an external recorder yet. How do you like the video assist on it?

21 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Hm... I'll have to take a look at that. Only got my F3 a couple months ago and haven't hooked it up to an external recorder yet. How do you like the video assist on it?

I really like it. Nice compact recorder. Nice UI. I bought a couple batteries that run d-tap out, so I can run everything off one sony battery. You need to run that camera with a recorder. Seriously beautiful clean images. 

5 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I really like it. Nice clean recorder. Nice UI. I bought a couple batteries that run d-tap out, so I can run everything off one sony battery. You need to run that camera with a recorder. Seriously beautiful clean images. 

Ugh, I know! Even internally the camera is great, but part of me knows I'm not getting everything I can out of it. What are the biggest things you notice jumping up to external 10-bit? Just a lot more robust in the grade?

Nice to hear the recorder is no fuss. I should invest in one or two of those d-tap Sony batts; battery life on the assist sounds irritatingly short. Not sure why they went with LP-E6 over Sony NP-F. 

Got a link to the batts you use?

56 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Ugh, I know! Even internally the camera is great, but part of me knows I'm not getting everything I can out of it. What are the biggest things you notice jumping up to external 10-bit? Just a lot more robust in the grade?

Nice to hear the recorder is no fuss. I should invest in one or two of those d-tap Sony batts; battery life on the assist sounds irritatingly short. Not sure why they went with LP-E6 over Sony NP-F. 

Got a link to the batts you use?

They probably went with the LP-6 due to weight and size? The micro cinema always uses those batteries... Which also sucks. 

You know what, I couldn't tell you because I have never used the internal recording. I do like to over expose a stop or two at times to get clean shadows, I would image this is more of a problem with the low bitrate. It is seriously difficult to get the F3 to fall apart. I will say that I use the C300ii quite a bit and the image on the F3 is pretty similar, (besides crummy indoor lighting, where Canon does so well at staying bright and colorful.) I do think it has one of the best 1080p images available. You do need to know that unless you have upgraded to the 444 version of the F3, you will not be able to get 60p with the video assist. You can with the 7Q without the upgrade, but that is much more expensive and a lot bigger/heavier. Also, for whatever reason there is a bug that causes the bottom pixel to flicker when using the video assist and capturing 60p/3g.

I buy directly from SWIT. These guys are really good about shipping. I ordered Monday at 4pm and they shipped it out the same day and I will have it tomorrow. I currently own a 63w but just purchased that bigger one because it was on sale. I'll probably buy another if it works out. These are seriously convenient. http://www.swit.us/dv-batteries.html

I have been using Canon LUTS and I am really happy with the results. I am working on a longer project that will be graded professionally, very excited to see how far we can push the files. I attached a couple stills. I think in almost all of these, I am exposing ETTR. I am really happy with how much saturation is held when over exposing. 

I have the F3 rigged right now but no photos... This is a very minimal low footprint setup, could be used on a monopod or something. 

IMG_8828.JPG

Kyle_1.jpg

UW2.jpg

Simon.jpg

• 1 month later...

What do you mean by "frame shutter"? I can set my frame rates and shutter speeds without issue. 

Also, I finally picked up a blackmagic video assist for my F3! Still need to do some more tests, but @BenEricson is right: beautiful, clean images that are very hard to make fall apart. The Assist has some quirks, like selecting "lines" to get peaking instead of the "peaking" option, but is otherwise well-featured and amazing value for money. Looking forward to shooting some 10-bit on something worth sharing!

9 hours ago, Mihai Alexandru Enachi said:

To change the shutter speed, it is necessary to enter the menu every time; I think it's wrong not to put outside a quick command for this feature; In the absence of a Direct Menu; Any setting made inside the menu is a big problem in using this camera

It's only the 3rd or 4th option from the top, so I just scroll down quick and change it. Not a big deal; never really inconvenienced me. Also... There's plenty of information out there on a camera this old. Why buy it if you know it doesn't have the controls you want?

4 hours ago, Mihai Alexandru Enachi said:

When I shoot out in the sun with a manual lens set to f2 i need a variable sutter set in auto mode; Unfortunately I could not find where to set the camera in this way. Can you help me ?

I've never used the auto exposure modes, so I couldn't tell you. Sounds like maybe you should've gotten an EX3 instead.