Atlas anamorphic lenses

IshootbeforeItalk

I'm pretty stoked about these. Nice that Forrest Schultz (and Dan) really nailed the coating and flare. These are the first relatively affordable anamorphics on the market with a proper 2 x squeeze in PL of EF. I'd love to hear your opinions on these. I know these are still high priced for independent film makers to purchase, but I think the price at rental houses would be very interesting for all of us.

https://atlaslensco.com/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

Anamorphic lenses are really the kind of gear people are better off to own (and learn to use) not rent.

I respectfully disagree. Traditionally anamorphics are not bought by consumers, but strictly rented, due to their high prices. It's just us independent film makers who recently found out that stacking adapters comes close to that high end cinematic feeling. Most DP's that work with anamorphics rent them.

2 hours ago, IshootbeforeItalk said:

I respectfully disagree. Traditionally anamorphics are not bought by consumers, but strictly rented, due to their high prices. It's just us independent film makers who recently found out that stacking adapters comes close to that high end cinematic feeling. Most DP's that work with anamorphics rent them.

I get that, I was referring to independent DPs, not those with huge budgets to work with. Never working with anamorphic and then renting a set for an important shoot isn't really advisable. The way you compose a frame is just different

2 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

I get that, I was referring to independent DPs, not those with huge budgets to work with. Never working with anamorphic and then renting a set for an important shoot isn't really advisable. The way you compose a frame is just different

That's fair but most DPs I've worked with have spent years operating or ACing or shooting with anamorphic lenses at AFI or somewhere and so when they rent a set, they know what they're getting into. But it is a very different experience, that's for sure. But from what I've seen they're a rental-only option traditionally. I don't think you can even buy the C series and that's just about all I see people use (occasionally Kowa or Lomo on very low end work, or I worked with the Hawks once).

IP concerns aside, the more the merrier. I'm not gonna buy these but I might rent them. :)

I was actually somewhat disappointed to find out that these are variable diopter-based lenses. Based on the advanced hype, it appeared that the engineers had created a whole new way to focus. But the prototype at the show looked like it was built from a Schneider Cinelux. I look forward to see how they handle the 40mm and wider lenses. Variable diopters start to have a lot of trouble at wider focal lengths.

Still great to see innovation happening in this part of the market. Also excited about P+S Technik's brand new Kowa recreations. Same price as vintage Kowas, brand new glass, parts and additional focal lengths.

I am a bit unclear on pricing.. :(

The 65mm is $5849 in total if you preorder?  Is that right?

If buying all three primes individually at the preorder price, the total comes to $17,997.

If buying the 3 prime set, the total is $17,995, so a saving of $2?

Or am I totally missing something here?  

Also, with regards to focal lengths, would a normal (non anamorphic) 65mm lens be roughly the equivalent of a 80-85mm on a full frame camera?  Then with anamorphic this changes again by widening 2 x in the horizontal direction?  

Ouch, sorry, shit description!  If somebody could please help me with that, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!