Video burst mode in 7DmkII?

Bruno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

If true this at least shows they have finally moved on from analogue sensors.

Only a digital readout can do such high continuous bursts.

Knowing Canon this is the sensor they will use for the next 10 APS-C cameras over 4 years! It better, therefore, be good.

Magic Lantern has been working on something similar to this, I had it on a 7D alpha build back in October 2012.  The Magic Lantern implementation saved the LCD's live view buffer files as jpegs(not mjpeg), I recorded 24 jpgs per second for one minute on my card (some dropped frames though) but it showed no sign of stopping on it's own.  My jpeg files were 4:2:2 and 98-623KB, which are 15:1 to 2.5:1 compression ratios of the 1.5MB 422 YUV originals used for the live view LCD.  Except they were only 1056x704 images.

I've heard the newer 6D uses 1816x1210 images which is closer to 1920x1080 but the Magic Lantern guys are supposedly having trouble saving these to jpegs on the 6D.  

Maybe Canon is working on a way to bring a 1080p60 422 jpeg variant of this to the new model, which would be grand but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.  Even CanonRumors doesn't know how real these specs are. 

unless it's super industrial grade mechanism, you're not gonna see 60fps still capture on such bodies. this is the benefit of mirrorless tech.  forgot to particularly mention RAW camera.

This would obviously be something that would only work in live view, with mirror lock up.

If the Nikon 1 can drop so many RAW frames a second out into a buffer, there doesn't much reason a device with superior processing and heat dissipation couldn't do so (or more) with APS-C.

I suppose the biggest issue (aside from intentional market division) is indeed heat. Those canon bodies are pretty densely packe with stuff...

• Administrators

unless it's super industrial grade mechanism, you're not gonna see 60fps still capture on such bodies. this is the benefit of mirrorless tech.  forgot to particularly mention RAW camera.

Not just mirrorless. You can have an electronic shutter mode on a DSLR in live view as well.