Zhiyun crane + Sony a7sii - BTS footage in winter

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

There really could be no higher endorsement than from someone who has actually owned and used the DJI Osmo Raw!

Haha, well I guess it depends what you like, but there's no denying how great the Zhiyun is. 

The DJI Osmo RAW is a great concept with too many issues for the asking price, and those expecting to use the DJI X5S with the new planned handle grip should be cautious. 

• Poor workflow - takes ages to get the files in ProRes. 
  • Cinelight software is absolute rubbish. Crashes all the time and is very basic. 
  • Too many error messages in Cinelight (doesn't boot SSD / says the SSD is invalid / fails to recognise / ejects from drive). 
  • SSD's are too expensive. 
  • 4k footage is at a mega bitrate! Barely manageable. 
  • Non-RAW fles (proxy) have good sharpness but very poor detail. 
  • D-Log is atrocious. Exceptionally hard to exposed grade this correctly. (best converting to BMD Film). 
  • Difficult to get exposure right as exposure tools are basic. 
  • Very noisy fan is distracting and will ruin any recorded audio. 
  • Fan is exposed at the top, so if it's raining a little bit, forget it!
  • General gimbal movement is limited - very prone to side to side wobble and bounce. 
  • Joystick is very hard to use - difficulty reaching it with my thumb and getting the pan direction right. 
  • Focus peaking is unreliable - hard to get critical focus on a phone screen. 
  • Phone constantly needs charging - have to plug in a USB power bank and strap it to the phone holder (adding weight to the left side). 
  • Osmo will go to sleep when it feels like it. 
  • Phone will lose communication with X5R regularly. 
  • Will often fail to recognise wi-fi signal from Osmo to phone. 
  • Too many occasions when the X5R fails to recognise the SSD. 
  • Too many occasions the internal mic switches off on it's own. 
  • Battery life with Cosmo batteries is very poor. Inspire batteries are much better but you have cables running off the gimbal into your pocket. 
  • Image breaks up constantly on wi-fi signal, very hard to judge focus and composition. Great when the feed is undisturbed. 
  • On 1080p 50/60, sometimes the image has missing frame as the footage jumps on some shots. 

The Zhiyun has none of the above issues and just works. 

And I have the option to use multiple cameras :)

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

This is the video that convinced me to get the Zhiyun for the A6500. 

I think it's the best gimbal you can buy, when considering price / performance. 

It's an absolute joy to use, especially with the A6500 autofocus voodoo. 

I don't know much about the Beholder, but from what Brandon told me about it, the Zhiyun is the way to go. I basically just put cameras on it and start flying.

Also I was filming side by side with the a6500 with my a7sii and the AF on the a6500 makes it so much easier. I messed up a ton of shots because I didn't stop down enough on the a7sii and the AF fell off the subject. FYI.

1 hour ago, mojo43 said:

I don't know much about the Beholder, but from what Brandon told me about it, the Zhiyun is the way to go. I basically just put cameras on it and start flying.

Also I was filming side by side with the a6500 with my a7sii and the AF on the a6500 makes it so much easier. I messed up a ton of shots because I didn't stop down enough on the a7sii and the AF fell off the subject. FYI.

If you're wondering why I'm quoting you, it's because I lost control of my keyboard. :) Anyhow, i just bought my second Crane this evening. It has several upgrades from the original Crane, making it much more usable. The grooves in the arms are longer, allowing for more adjustments. Cosmetically, the it's now pretty much all black, whereas before two of the caps were silver, so now it's more fashionable. :) Most importantly, and I commented on this months ago, the screws did not remain tight. Now, when turning the three screws, they have a much nicer feel, fit snugly and won't come loose. Zhiyun could have continued making the Crane the same way but they listen to user feedback and make changes.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If you're wondering why I'm quoting you, it's because I lost control of my keyboard. :) Anyhow, i just bought my second Crane this evening. It has several upgrades from the original Crane, making it much more usable. The grooves in the arms are longer, allowing for more adjustments. Cosmetically, the it's now pretty much all black, whereas before two of the caps were silver, so now it's more fashionable. :) Most importantly, and I commented on this months ago, the screws did not remain tight. Now, when turning the three screws, they have a much nicer feel, fit snugly and won't come loose. Zhiyun could have continued making the Crane the same way but they listen to user feedback and make changes.

Great, I have a new one on the way as well. I am glad to hear that they sorted out the screw issue. It was manageable, but nice if the issue is solved!

I do not get people using SLOG on Sony cameras. 

I got the A7RII and rx100IV and I can tell you Cine2 or Cine4 with Pro color is way better. 

First of all SLOG forces high base ISO which is shit

Secondly you have to overexposed, which is shit

Thirdly, you see nothing on your screen and it's harder to focus, which is shit

Finally, the 8 bit image just does not work well with SLOG. I did compare and push Nice grades, and the Cine2 holds better than the noisy SLOG.

really, I don't understand. 

Now from comments above, I agree the flaw of GH5 is the AF so it's gonna suck on Gimbal. Really waiting for GH5 specs in a A7RII like camera (FF sensor...) with A6500 AF. And with canon ergonomics (or at least better handling, dual SD, ...) 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

I got the A7RII and rx100IV and I can tell you Cine2 or Cine4 with Pro color is way better. 

Finally, the 8 bit image just does not work well with SLOG.

Well, It does make sense in certain situations, especially because SLog does not have to be 8 bit -though present in A7's and below, it is more of an FS7 and above thing- and the DR it gives is quite impressive. Having said that, I agree there is an overuse and misuse of Slog, or any Log curve "modes" for that matter. Controlled studio environments seldom require 14 stops and any other gamma modes allow the DP to dial the desired look in camera more easily, just as it was done film. Also, less stress on the codec (even Prores has limited bandwith) means you can push the grade without artifacts. Do you lose some ability to add contrast by baking it? Sure, but you are supposed to make those choices beforehand...

On a gimbal on the street, even 8 bit SLog it could save you from some blown highlights...

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Finally, the 8 bit image just does not work well with SLOG. I did compare and push Nice grades, and the Cine2 holds better than the noisy SLOG.

Now from comments above, I agree the flaw of GH5 is the AF so it's gonna suck on Gimbal. Really waiting for GH5 specs in a A7RII like camera (FF sensor...) with A6500 AF. And with canon ergonomics (or at least better handling, dual SD, ...) 

Yes, I'm quite certain the GH5 won't be able to do what Brandon Lee did with his a6500. 

16 hours ago, wolf33d said:

SLog2 is fantastic on the A7 cameras (if you do it right!)

Slog3 is too aggressive. (Although I've seen some really nice results). 

Cine4 is nice for many situations. 

Slog3 10-bit is where it's at!