Single Tripod Slider help

scotchtape

So I've been running around with an iFootage Shark S1 slider with flywheel, attached to 2 cheapo carbon tripods (the neewer $100 CF travel ones).  I'm using it at the shortest width (no extension rods).  Works but is annoying to change the height or take the slider on or off, not to mention moving it around and setting it up.

Every tripod I have has a center column (except for a cheap Weifang tripod that is heavy) and flexes when I move the camera (probably like 10+ pounds of weight on one side!).  I've used a Sirui K-40x huge ballhead and an Induro 414 aluminum, but I think the tripod center column is the thing that is flexing slightly.I purchased the Konova Stabilizer arm or whatever, and I couldn't get it to work for me, maybe I was using it wrong, but I sold it.  I don't understand how it works because the joints do NOT lock, they are free to move around, so there is some form of flex that you can't get rid of no matter what.

Quick question - will this "work"?

If I get this tripod https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LN-404C-Systematic-Compatible-Tripod/dp/B01HN8K3YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481601880&sr=8-1&keywords=leofoto

Use a 75mm bowl adapter and an arca quick release (or other) on top.  If I mount the slider on that, will it still flex or will the bowl adapter be strong enough to hold it in place?

Don't want to spend over $550 USD only to find out this plan is crap... Asking if anyone has had success with a single tripod setup and no flex.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

So I've been running around with an iFootage Shark S1 slider with flywheel, attached to 2 cheapo carbon tripods (the neewer $100 CF travel ones).  I'm using it at the shortest width (no extension rods).  Works but is annoying to change the height or take the slider on or off, not to mention moving it around and setting it up.

Every tripod I have has a center column (except for a cheap Weifang tripod that is heavy) and flexes when I move the camera (probably like 10+ pounds of weight on one side!).  I've used a Sirui K-40x huge ballhead and an Induro 414 aluminum, but I think the tripod center column is the thing that is flexing slightly.I purchased the Konova Stabilizer arm or whatever, and I couldn't get it to work for me, maybe I was using it wrong, but I sold it.  I don't understand how it works because the joints do NOT lock, they are free to move around, so there is some form of flex that you can't get rid of no matter what.

Quick question - will this "work"?

If I get this tripod https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LN-404C-Systematic-Compatible-Tripod/dp/B01HN8K3YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481601880&sr=8-1&keywords=leofoto

Use a 75mm bowl adapter and an arca quick release (or other) on top.  If I mount the slider on that, will it still flex or will the bowl adapter be strong enough to hold it in place?

Don't want to spend over $550 USD only to find out this plan is crap... Asking if anyone has had success with a single tripod setup and no flex.

My advice is to go for the iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod (around $575, so within your budget). I have used it along with the iFootage Shark Slider S1 and have not experienced any flexing when used with the Lumix GH4 and Leica Nocticron, for example.

I would rather spend my money on this one instead of that one you show.  https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-546GB-Pro-Video-Tripod/dp/B004OV8832/ref=sr_1_12?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1481606056&sr=1-12&keywords=video+tripod

And don't buy it from that just Launched guy, probably a scam. Amazon is full of them Bastards!

I have had very few Video tripods that work with single legs like most photo tripods are made. And you need the spreader on the bottom, not mid way. When they, looks like 3 leg ones, are in their lowest position they are VERY stable. It is easy to spend your money but there is no real cheap way out on tripods unless you go on ebay and buy a beat up, used high dollar one for cheap, because you really can't wear out a really good tripod.

5 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

What are you guys using to attach the slider to the tripod? Ball head? Fluid head? Bowl adapter ?  Thanks

Oh my God forget a Ball Head unless it is the size of a Softball.  Bowl Adapter works but you usually have it attached to a Fluid Head. I have several Bowl Adapters that I can use, They are rather cheap to buy.

@scotchtape I'd prefer webrunner5's choice over the one you linked to any day. Not only does it look far sturdier, I hate twist locking collars on legs.

26 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

What are you guys using to attach the slider to the tripod? Ball head? Fluid head? Bowl adapter ?  Thanks

I noticed the tripods and ballheads were OK but it was flexing where the ball head attached to the tripod area

_DSF0041.JPG

Okay checked out the review of the wild bull here with the slider and counter weight on it... still some flex :(

He says "very little flex" but I think it's kinda significant if you watch the video... although I don't think it's the slider's fault but the carbon rods in the slider.

Thanks for the links guys, I will definitely be checking those things out!  Might have to switch sliders too...

Might be worth while looking at some used Miller Solo sticks and a 75mm half bowl to mount the slider on. 10 lbs weight at one end of a slider might be a challenge for one tripod.

Good thing about the Solo sticks is they can get down nice and low. 

IMG_0322.JPG

26 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Cheap sliders slide on tubes, better ones use a belt of some kind. And the even better ones have a heavy flywheel. But it depends on the weight of the camera you are using. You don't need a heavy duty one for a Go Pro. And you can't use a cheap one with a heavy camera. Pure Physics.

Good advice.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Might be worth while looking at some used Miller Solo sticks and a 75mm half bowl to mount the slider on. 10 lbs weight at one end of a slider might be a challenge for one tripod.

Good thing about the Solo sticks is they can get down nice and low. 

IMG_0322.JPG

Good advice.

Good point. Not many tripods can go that low unless you buy a Hat. I wish I had one that can do that at times. But as old as I am probably would need a crane to get back up! :grimace:

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

Are you using the flywheel on the slider as well?  Thanks.

And you're using the fluidhead too?  I just didn't want to lug around a fluidhead as well if the bowl adapter would work.

Yes, I always use the flywheel. And the fluid head. The Benro I got has the option of flat base or bowl. If you get the bowl version, it can be detached.

And never, ever use a cheap ball head for video work. When it comes to tripods and heads, there is no such thing as 'overkill'.

Also on the video tripods with multiple legs, not the photo single ones,  Never get one with a center section that raises.  And the ones with a bowl are the hot setup. I like the 3 section better than the 2 section for 2 reasons better. 1 The top section ends up being supported better by the next section down because it is not usually extended all the way, and 2 they tend to be able to go higher, not often you need that but when you do it beats having to carry two tripods around. They tend to weigh a bit more which is a good thing also. And don't be shy about hanging something from the center of them also. You can't have too much weight on a video tripod for stabilization. But tripods are personal thing, and you tend to use what you can afford, maybe not what is the best. :grin:

29 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

Why?

I find it very practical if I need to adjust the height of the camera after the tripod was setup.

It depends on how much weight you are putting on to it and how you are using it.  Depending on the circumstance (like in my case) having the column decreases the strength of the setup so it is more prone to tilting and flexing.  Obviously for static shots  / photography they are convenient (but still give less rigidity).  Once you start moving things or put weight off center, the strength goes down.

I also find I rarely use my center columns, yet 7 of my 8 tripods have them because I thought they would come in useful (and also they are photo tripods, and basically all of them have a center column)