Quicktime support for Windows terminated?

Axel

It certainly isn't Apple's fault. Users demand QT native codecs like ProRes, camera manufacturers listen to them, and software vendors follow up by integrating QT.

DNxHD/DNxHR is essentially the VC-3 SMPTE standard and plays very well with another SMPTE standard -- the MXF container. Cineform is also a recent SMPTE standard (VC-5), and defined for MXF wrapping. It's not like if ProRes+QT is the only player in town.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ah sorry, seems I've misunderstood the problem!

still, it doesn't change the fact that most people just aren't going to uninstall it, because they use MOV

i use MTS, MXF and R3D most of the time, but the fact that Alexa and Amira use MOV means most of us can't just remove it and cripple our systems.

it needs to be taken out into the crowd-Dev sphere really, to make a proper conversion of 64bit QT for win

41 minutes ago, cpc said:

Cineform is also a recent SMPTE standard (VC-5), and defined for MXF wrapping. It's not like if ProRes+QT is the only player in town.

I wonder what could Blackmagic do to integrate Cineform ST 2073 VC-5 as a codec for their cameras, being crossplatform it would start to make sense over Prores, even more now. Specially if it can be encoded in PC and mac.

1 minute ago, Ivanhurba said:

I wonder what could Blackmagic do to integrate Cineform ST 2073 VC-5 as a codec for their cameras, being crossplatform it would start to make sense over Prores, even more now. Specially if it can be encoded in PC and mac.

I think there are still some patents involved in Cineform for encoding outside of the Cineform GoPro installation codecs, even though it is SMPTE standardized. DNxHR in BM cams is probably a more likely development.

1 hour ago, cantsin said:

Many programs (Resolve, Avid and Vegas for example) rely on Quicktime even for their playback of non-Quicktime,  h264/mp4 and other material.

No. Sony Vegas does not rely on Quicktime to play back non-Quicktime H264/MP4 video and "other material". I uninstalled Quicktime a while ago and I happily use Sony Vegas Pro to edit and play MP4, H264 video files.

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, markr041 said:

No. Sony Vegas does not rely on Quicktime to play back non-Quicktime H264/MP4 video and "other material". I uninstalled Quicktime a while ago and I happily use Sony Vegas Pro to edit and play MP4, H264 video files.

This is for version 11, I don't know which is the latest.

"System Requirements: OHCI-compatible IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape), USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders), Windows-compatible sound card, DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only), Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only), Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only), Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc burning only), Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (included on application disc), Apple QuickTime 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files, Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service), Supported NVIDIA or ATI cards for GPU-acceleration"

RED issues a firmware update to unlock DNxHQ/HD recording in their cameras. 

More companies should follow. 

That should take care the prores bias in the industry and relying on crappy programs, such as QT, to decode proprietary formats.  

Another critical step is that Davinci resolve has to be patched to get rid of QT dependencies for most codecs. 

Here is an article from cinema5D.