4K compact camera LX100 does 3:2 anamorphic baby Hypergonar with SLR Magic Rangefinder

Sebastien Farges

I'm happy having managed building a system for using my baby anamorphic on a 4K compact camera. I used an accessory tube made for the Canon G7 and managed to screw it on the bayonet system of the LX100. then I screwed another tube on it to allowed the zoom going at it's end of it's range (84mm in 4K, because it's vignetting below), then the Redstan clamp for my baby Hypergonar, and finally the SLRMagic Rangefinder focus system, and here we go ! :)

For me the result is very promising ! What do you think ? 

camera : Panasonic DMC-LX100 on tele zoom position (84mm) always at it's full aperture (f2.8 in tele position)
3:2 4K 25p photo mode exported in UHD
baby Hypergonar anamorphic 1.75x lens
SLR Magic Rangefinder focus system
no color correction except slight upper whites on 3 clips
-5 personnal color settings
Howa ND 32 filter
music : The Cure
Thanks to the students from Master, Nina, Céline and Charles, Arnaud and Tchie-Kung

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is great, anamorphic looks nice on the lx100! I was recently thinking about anamorphic on my lx100. Thanks for the idea! I want to try the anamoprhic shop vm lens because it's very small and wouldn't need any extra adapters. But i'm worried about the lx100 sensor size being too large. The vm lens is recommended for bmpc sized sensors. 

The canon g7 accessory tube, what exactly is it for and can it be purchased online? Thanks!

24 minutes ago, shanebrutal said:

This is great, anamorphic looks nice on the lx100! I was recently thinking about anamorphic on my lx100. Thanks for the idea! I want to try the anamoprhic shop vm lens because it's very small and wouldn't need any extra adapters. But i'm worried about the lx100 sensor size being too large. The vm lens is recommended for bmpc sized sensors. 

The canon g7 accessory tube, what exactly is it for and can it be purchased online? Thanks!

This tube is compatible more or less with the bayonet system attachment of the LX100, so I can fix the system on the camera with care, much better than fixing it on the fragile zoom...

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Filter-adapter-tubus-black-metallic-58mm-for-Canon-Powershot-G7-G9-/262291664068?hash=item3d11cd2cc4:g:XesAAOSwWTRWwZsc

10 hours ago, Sebastien Farges said:

This tube is compatible more or less with the bayonet system attachment of the LX100, so I can fix the system on the camera with care, much better than fixing it on the fragile zoom...

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Filter-adapter-tubus-black-metallic-58mm-for-Canon-Powershot-G7-G9-/262291664068?hash=item3d11cd2cc4:g:XesAAOSwWTRWwZsc

Oh now I understand. I wasn't aware the lx100 had a bayonet system for attachments like that. Thanks for the link. I also read that the panasonic lx7 bayonet accessory tube might be compatible with the lx100. 

I wonder if a 2x anamorphic attachment would work on the lx100 in 4:3 at max zoom (87mm) I have a proskar laying around that I will try eventually.

34 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Hmm, it looses a LOT of detail there.

What do you mean ? If you want the full res of the video stills they are in the flick'r. Don't forget it's a lens for 8mm film and for me the result on a compact is far surprising

3 hours ago, shanebrutal said:

Oh now I understand. I wasn't aware the lx100 had a bayonet system for attachments like that. Thanks for the link. I also read that the panasonic lx7 bayonet accessory tube might be compatible with the lx100. 

I wonder if a 2x anamorphic attachment would work on the lx100 in 4:3 at max zoom (87mm) I have a proskar laying around that I will try eventually.

Îm not sure it will work with a 2x (the baby is 1.75), Îm very closed to vignetting

It's a step up on my LX100 baby-H film that I shot last year but that was pre-rangefinder. I was half-pleased with the results but this inspires me to try it out with the rangefinder. I'd like to try out the rangefinder against the CoreDNA - have you had a look at the CoreDNA?