Good monitor with good color for less than $500

Gpanazio

Hello, guys.

I'm in an endless search for a good and "cheap" field monitor. I have an Atomos Ninja 2 and I like it, but he's terrible as a monitor. It's realy, realy ugly. I was looking the new Blackmagic monitor and recorder, but I'm not confident about the color quality of his image (some say it's good, some say it's not good). Small hd is too expensive for me, unfortunately. 

I need a monitor with good color/exposure accuracy to use on an gimbal with the A7r II. Any ideas?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe they should add Nespresso functionality too, lol. :) Those are quite the wishes on a somewhat tight-ish budget.

If it's just for monitoring, I'm gonna throw a suggestion for the Lilliput 663/O/P2 in there. Might be worth for you checking out?

The 663/O/P2 is Lilliput's most advanced 7" monitor, built for the pro-video professional on a budget. Features include false colour, histograms, peaking and collapsible sun-hood/screen protector. The 663/O/P2 is an affordable easy to use monitor.

3B1fl3J.jpg

The 663/O/P2 is Lilliput's first monitor to incorporate a fully metal frame making it our most robust monitor. It is also the first to include wiring connectors for a tally light, meaning it is perfect for small professional broadcasting solutions.

H8cNuAl.jpg

Haha yes. Oh well. Will just wait for the price of the smallHD 501 to come down or pick up a used one I guess. Too bad the DP4 doesn't have LUT capacity, otherwise it would be perfect.

I detest Nespresso though!

But on a more serious note, why are decent monitors more expensive than a top of the line smartphone with big hi-res screen? Wish someone would make an app for that.There is probably something I'm missing here...

Maybe they should add Nespresso functionality too, lol. :) Those are quite the wishes on a somewhat tight-ish budget.

If it's just for monitoring, I'm gonna throw a suggestion for the Lilliput 663/O/P2 in there. Might be worth for you checking out?

That functionality would definitely help me to convince my wife that we need to buy it.

I liked the Lilliput, It seems very nice. Thanks!

Haha yes. Oh well. Will just wait for the price of the smallHD 501 to come down or pick up a used one I guess. Too bad the DP4 doesn't have LUT capacity, otherwise it would be perfect.

I detest Nespresso though!

But on a more serious note, why are decent monitors more expensive than a top of the line smartphone with big hi-res screen? Wish someone would make an app for that.There is probably something I'm missing here...

If someone release a Smartphone or tablet with HDMI input, will be the end of field monitors. Imagine the ton of possibilities with apps and wifi transmissions.

Have a look at the Ikan VK7I, it's quite affordable and seems to have great colors: http://www.learningvideo.com/field-monitor-shootout/

I'll take a look. Thanks!

That functionality would definitely help me to convince my wife that we need to buy it.

I liked the Lilliput, It seems very nice. Thanks!

If someone release a Smartphone or tablet with HDMI input, will be the end of field monitors. Imagine the ton of possibilities with apps and wifi transmissions.

I'll take a look. Thanks!

Smartphone idea just makes sense to me. 

So the BMMCC, the micro, doesn't allow this in any way? Sure would be nice.

If I understand correctly, this technology is possible with the DJI cameras. 

Man, I still really like my little Marshall 5". You can get 'em for $250 used. Not the best power solution - 4xAA internal and they make some screw-on adapters; the newer model has replaceable back adapters for common DSLR batteries. But it has a 4v input if you're running a power setup. Peaking is so-so, but color is very nice. Full sized HDMI and blue-only for calibrating.

Thanks, guys.

It's a very difficult decision for me. I have to choose, import, pay taxes (or smugglers) wait a few weeks and if don't like it, I have to sell on "Ebay"! And then choose again, import... Third world problems.

Any thoughts on this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/MustHD-M601-5-6-Inch-1280x800-On-Camera/dp/B00PL8B8P2 ?

Thanks again. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If someone release a Smartphone or tablet with HDMI input, 

I asked someone highend in a monitor/recorder company that question: The LCD Panel that a Cellphone has is the absolute easiest part of a field monitor, and it requires much more than that to work. The hardware required for taking an HDMI input, decoding and displaying in realtime, working off a battery whilst converting HDMI/in-out/SDI signals plus heavy software as 3D LUTs, makes it require a cooling system for a certainty unforunately. So no a Cellphone doesn't have the power nor will it have in the near future the hardware required to work as reliable field monitors. The closest you can get to that right now is using something like a C300 and a Wifi comnection, which plays at about 15fps. Terrible vs HDMI. 

I was disappointed. I reaply wanted my Galaxy Note to have a Micro HDMI port and can work as a 5'' monitor, imagine that! Turns out it need to get a lot bigger with a fan and a big ass battery. 

Small HD 501 series make the smallest field monitors, still a LOT bigger than a phone but a great monitor. It's the best monitor I've used and I really recommend paying the extra over the competetion for it. I got the Ninja Blade but if I didn't need a recorder, the HDMI only 501 would have been my choice, a much much better monitor to carry and use compared to all the rivals I've seen from marshal, lilput, atomos, etc. 

If budget is open, the SmallHD Ac7 High bright monitor is the best I've seen period, at any price point. What a panel! Too big for normal DSLR/Mirrorless shooters and even C100/Fs7/C300 unless a rig is in place. 

Small HD 501 series make the smallest field monitors, still a LOT bigger than a phone but a great monitor. It's the best monitor I've used and I really recommend paying the extra over the competetion for it. I got the Ninja Blade but if I didn't need a recorder, the HDMI only 501 would have been my choice, a much much better monitor to carry and use compared to all the rivals I've seen from marshal, lilput, atomos, etc. 

The 501/502 series is great. It reminds me alot of my iPhone display. Not quite as light, but almost :D