Canon 1DC has landed.

FilmMan

Good call.  Sad that the 1080P image is so damn soft.  Is it me or does the Super35mm look sharper than 4K?

with a bit of sharpening the image will be usable if the full frame is needed.  just like the 5dmk3.  it would be nice if the full frame image were as sharp as the 4k clip, but due to whatever downscaling canon use, I think it's impossible.

s35 will appear a bit sharper in this test due to everything being so much closer due to the crop ('near'apsc (s35) vs apsh (4k).  I imagine if you cropped each so the frame covers the same area of the image the 4k will look sharper.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

this camera is the biggest joke since the "expected release date" of the BMCC.

fake 4k (8 bit on top of it), no raw,  no xlr, soft as cotton, and basically $600 for 20 minutes of footage.

This camera is for people that wanna say "hey, look at me, I own the newest overpriced canon camera" 

I wouldn't even rent this camera to get a true opinion....why you ask? because I would rent a c500 and know

I'm getting everything I need from a camera.

Meh. Opinions vary. I like its image regardless of whether it gets me laid or not. I like how Canon handles 8 bit color a shitload better than everybody else does, but that's my opinion. I hate bullshit arguments over camera specs. If it looks good, who gives a shit. They kick ass in low light, this one doesn't cheat a video image and leave you with rainbows and jaggies into a 4:2:0 squashed codec. It's got enough resolution for me. The Red One was a 4k sensor that wasn't 4k for the same reason, but I don't think the directors that used it on big productions gave a shit about what everybody else thought. Alas It's $12k & that's Canon for you. If they priced products more reasonably I don't think people would be so passionately pissed at them. Raw for $3k has opened the curtains.

this camera is the biggest joke since the "expected release date" of the BMCC.

fake 4k (8 bit on top of it), no raw, no xlr, soft as cotton, and basically $600 for 20 minutes of footage.
This camera is for people that wanna say "hey, look at me, I own the newest overpriced canon camera"
I wouldn't even rent this camera to get a true opinion....why you ask? because I would rent a c500 and know
I'm getting everything I need from a camera.

1. it's true 4k (the aps-h crop uses a 4k portion of the sensor and doesnt downscale).
1b. 8 bit is perfectly usable, especially when grading in a 32bit. I assume you just don't know how to set your white balance and end up running out of headroom when grading.
2. record audio separately if you need phantom power to mics.. duh!, or buy a mic with built in power. And on a side note you can then get your 96khz 24bit uncompressed audio.
3. overpriced? that's subjective. most people are buying these and using them to earn money. not posing. posing Arabs in Abu Dhabi wont buy this, they buy leica.
4. just because you don't need a stills camera with above par video performance doesnt mean no one else will. people earn money from 5dmk2's, gh2's etc. why cant this camera fill the gap where true motion picture cameras are not required?

Erm, apart from 4K recording built in. Quite important no?

ND filters, 12bit 444, a better LCD, a handle, less jello, and it's not shaped like a deformed DSLR.

oh, and 120 fps can come in handy every now and then. 

I would be all for this camera, but it just seems like they cut a lot of corners.

How do you turn off scaling on vimeo?  Thanks.

When you click on Full Screen (button between HD and Vimeo at the bottom - mouse may need to hover to see it ), a Scaling Button will show up under the Embed button (towards top on right side of the screen).  Click on Scaling button.  The video won't be scaled to fit the page. 

When you click on Full Screen (button between HD and Vimeo at the bottom - mouse may need to hover to see it ), a Scaling Button will show up under the Embed button (towards top on right side of the screen).  Click on Scaling button.  The video won't be scaled to fit the page. 

Excellent, thanks.  Makes a difference -- to me the 4K now looks sharper then when scaled. Another dumb question: why are the Super35 and full HD images larger (ie., wider and longer) than the 4K when I do this?

1DC and 1DX. Canon will be protecting the 1DC.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/inside-the-canon-eos-1d-c/

They should bring this down a notch... Seriously. A half an hour of record time runs $650 at 128gb per CF. I like the camera, considering it's the ultimate "jailbroken" dslr we all tried to have with our 5D's, etc... But damn.

They price like they owe Vegas loan sharks when there are better options for less, or much better for just a little more.

Red's 128GB ssd costs $1250. 

Red volt costs $195.  (lasts for about 25 minutes?)

Canon's battery costs $169.  Lasts about 1 hour and 15 minutes or 1 hour and 25 minutes (depends on temperature)

Yea, Red has better specs. 

Canon, form factor.  Quiet operation.

Boils down to picture and what a person likes. 

Both will cost.   

1DC and 1DX.   Canon will be protecting the 1DC. 

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/inside-the-canon-eos-1d-c/

Firmware
The EOS-1D X has some traces of the EOS-1D C firmware code and the features are locked. We don’t know how much of the firmware is the same.

Third Party Firmware?
I was told by someone at Canon that they would “bring the might of its legal team” to anyone that attempts to modify at the software level, the features of an EOS-1 camera body. So I think the firmware community out there today will probably leave the EOS-1D X alone.

----------------

Yeah there we go in a nutshell.  Thanks Canon for overcharging everyone for a 1DX.  Just admit it already.  Well I think Vitaly should crack it anyway, the guy does shit in spite of everyone, why not Canon?  He's overseas anyway, not like they can find him.  Just goes to show Canon is just out for the money.  Overpriced and underperforming...