63.7 megapixel raw with the E-M5 II - and finally 24p at 77Mbit!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Talked to a store owner today, inquired about details. Also, at the moment they have a special deal going on for the E-M1 (sidewalk sign with poster). Get one now and get a free battery grip (HLD-7). I always seem to miss out on these M43 freebies somehow. Anyways. Asked him if he expected any stock or if Olympus announced anything special for the launch? He said they didn't give him any specifics yet. In meanwhile over at Cyberport here, it's expected for the 26th. Would be nice to get one and a grip to go with it (not counting on getting a free one, probably will be after two months or so, like I said, I always miss out on those things).

My question is more... do I sell the E-M1 as a kit with the 12-40mm f/2.8? Do I keep the 12-40mm f/2.8 and sell the E-M1 as body only? The lens retails for about 1000 EUR and the E-M5II 12-40mm kit is 700 EUR more expensive than body only. The 12-50mm comes in 500 cheaper than the 12-40mm, differencing 200 with body only, but then again isn't worth as much (so not really contemplating that option).

So... initially I thought, well, I could get just the body and battery grip and sell the E-M1 body only. But now I'm thinking it is probably better as complete kit (E-M1 + 12-40mm) and then get a whole new kit with E-M5II + 12-40mm in order to lose the least amount of dough. If you know what I mean.

Talked to a store owner today, inquired about details. Also, at the moment they have a special deal going on for the E-M1 (sidewalk sign with poster). Get one now and get a free battery grip (HLD-7). I always seem to miss out on these M43 freebies somehow. Anyways. Asked him if he expected any stock or if Olympus announced anything special for the launch? He said they didn't give him any specifics yet. In meanwhile over at Cyberport here, it's expected for the 26th. Would be nice to get one and a grip to go with it (not counting on getting a free one, probably will be after two months or so, like I said, I always miss out on those things).

My question is more... do I sell the E-M1 as a kit with the 12-40mm f/2.8? Do I keep the 12-40mm f/2.8 and sell the E-M1 as body only? The lens retails for about 1000 EUR and the E-M5II 12-40mm kit is 700 EUR more expensive than body only. The 12-50mm comes in 500 cheaper than the 12-40mm, differencing 200 with body only, but then again isn't worth as much (so not really contemplating that option).

So... initially I thought, well, I could get just the body and battery grip and sell the E-M1 body only. But now I'm thinking it is probably better as complete kit (E-M1 + 12-40mm) and then get a whole new kit with E-M5II + 12-40mm in order to lose the least amount of dough. If you know what I mean.

​It depends on what you get for the combination..EM1 with 12-40. It's a good 'set' So Cinegain, you're in the same 'boat' as I am..What do you think about the deal they are offering me? It's a body switch only.

Managed to get lucky and use a 10% discount back then when the E-M1 kit was priced 2199.

Currently it's retailing around 1999. To undercut that for being 2nd hand I'll probably lose something like 500, having to sell it at around 1499 (no idea what it should/could do on the market, have to research if that's realistic). Then I'd buy the E-M5II as kit again at 1799. Swap would then set me back around 300 EUR as well. And the lens is what's really keeping the value of the kit up I feel like. So, 350 for the body only swap seems sensible to me? Are there more people in our situation? How do you guys see it?

The E-M1 has a more rigid built to it... better AF (and burst). But I'm mainly init for the 5-axis IBIS w/ usable video mode, so... to me it's an upgrade and splash and freeze proof is more than I'll probably need, really. Can't see any too big losses here for what you gain by getting the more hybrid minded E-M5II. Pretty stoked.

​It depends on what you get for the combination..EM1 with 12-40. It's a good 'set' So Cinegain, you're in the same 'boat' as I am..What do you think about the deal they are offering me? It's a body switch only.

​​If it was me, I'd go for the EM5ii. But if stills are important to you maybe stick with the EM1?