Sony A7 II review - 5 axis stabilisation in video mode

Andrew Reid

Obviously the stabilization isn't well implemented for filming purposes but I wouldn't bother to buy the A7II as a B-Cam anyway if the don't have such a bad track record for providing updates. The A6000 for example still has no XAVC-S. So I think I will sit this one out...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Andy, 2 questions:

- How does a STABILIZED lens perform with in camera stabilization? I imagine it to perform extremely well in combination. That may "relativize" - if that s an English word – your verdict.

- Does it have Active Mode? And if so, how does it perform to standard steady shot? Sony provides balanced steady shot to some camcorders, which performs extremely well. I wonder why they didn t implement similar tech to mirrorless...

Thanks.

Z

I guess it's just much harder to stabilise full frame compared to four thirds.

It's a much larger area and probably much more difficult to eliminate rolling artefacts across it, without greatly increasing scan speed, that is.

You'd probably need some clever software stabilisation too, analysing the movement sensor and trying to counteract rolling shutter too.

For video (unlike photo), I don't need the shot to be absolutely still.  I need it to have two modes:

1) Eases the handheld look but doesn't totally dampen it.  It should still look more edgier than the steadicam look.

2) Give us the easing of the motorized gimbal look.  Similar to the Follow Mode or Majestic Mode of every motorized gimbal on the market. 

Does the a7II have APSC mode? How would shooting in that mkde affect IBIS, would it make anh difference at all? Wouldn't the IBIS need to move less to stabilise the APSC crop?

How much difference is there between 3 and 5 axis stabilisation for static handheld shots? Onviously the IBIS is most appealing for use with vintage glass (at least for me) which don't get 5 axis..

I just got the A7II and I see the same jitter with the 55mm f.18.  HOWEVER ... I put on the LAEA4 adapter and 85mm 1.4 (which uses 3 axis) and NO JITTER!  I wonder if this can be fixed in firmware if the problem is the 2-axis not used with adapters.  Can others with A7II confirm what I'm seeing?

Interesting! Are you sure the 85mm+LAEA4 uses 3 axis? It may use 5 because it can send data electronically to the body.

Also, could you post video samples of the two lenses on YouTube or WeTransfer? I'm holding back on purchasing the A7II because of the jitter issue. This may change my mind. 

A7M2 cannot provide 5-axis with any lens that does not have OSS/OS/VC:

5 Axis requires a lens with OSS/VC/OS:
You get the 2 from the lens and the 3 from the body...total 5-axis...
All 5 axis of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization (of course would have to be communicating with camera).
So any lens that has OSS/OS/VC that is Sony capable will have 5-Axis, but ONLY OSS/OS/VC lens period will have 5-Axis...to include yaw/pitch in the stabilization, everything else 3-axis...

According to Brian Smith:

• E-Mount lenses with OSS get 2 axis IBIS (Pitch and Yaw) + 3 axis OSS from lens.
  • E-Mount lenses without OSS get full 5 axis IBIS from camera?

"Only those lenses without OSS, such as non-OSS E-mount lenses, and 8-pin A-mount lenses when used with LA-EA series adapters, that can also communicate focal length and focal distance enjoy 5-axis IS from the camera.

Sony E mount lenses with OSS get 3-axis compensation from the camera, and the other 2-axis pitch and yaw compensation from the lens."

• Non-native lenses without OSS do  not get full 5 axis IBIS from camera.

"Requires awareness of both focal length and camera to subject distance (focal distance). Bear in mind that X/Y compensation can’t be provided by a lens (with one exception – see below). If the lens can’t communicate focal distance, then the camera can’t provide it. This is the case for almost all 3rd party lenses (although we haven’t tested an AF capable mount adapter, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work)."

• Non-native lenses with OSS need to have stabilization turned off.

"Requires awareness of both focal length and camera to subject distance (focal distance). Bear in mind that X/Y compensation can’t be provided by a lens (with one exception – see below). If the lens can’t communicate focal distance, then the camera can’t provide it. This is the case for almost all 3rd party lenses (although we haven’t tested an AF capable mount adapter, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work)."

• Some A-Mount lenses using LA-EA3/4 only have 3 axis compensation (SAL 16, 20 & 500mm).

What about Third-Party A-Mount since Sigma and Tamron disable it on their Sony A-Mount lens?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...