Canon 50D Magic Lantern raw review

Andrew Reid

Got my 50d last week, still waiting on Komputerbay cards.   Luckily, it came with 6 batteries!  The battery drain is no joke, they run down pretty quick. 

Having shot on Bolex 16mm back in college, the lack of audio & having to use a clapboard is a non-issue to me.   Clapboards worked for nearly a century. 

The thing I like most is the variable aspect ratio.  I've done some test shoots with a Bolex 1.5X, Kowa 2X, and a Schneider 2X, and the results have been great.  I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a 1000X card for continuous shooting.... I'll be sure to post the results.

BTW, thanks for the info on Tragic Lantern, I'll be installing that today! :)

Andrew:  That example footage looked incredible.  Nice work!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

When I had enought money to buy a camera one year and a half ago, I choose de Sony Nex 5N, not only becouse it was a little cheaper but because It have one more usable iso stop and more Dinamic Range out of the box, then ML came, and I stil prefer this camera over t2i, t3i t4i, but now RAW on 50D. And is just amazing.  I have two Questions, and this is becouse In my country México a used 50D is around 900 us dolars, not as cheap as in the US

Is the h.264 stable enough to try change my 5N for a 50d?

How do this camera performs on low light because the 5N is not a low light monster but beat lots of entry level DSLR and even 7D in the Dark.

Oh one more, Is there a Work around for a slow computer?

Thanks and sorry for my poor English.

To me the beauty of RAW on the 50D is the low entry price and high quality.  I think it's more of an indie film making tool than ENG type tool.  I wouldn't choose it over my other cameras for shooting a long event like a concert, tho you could.  I think this is more like a Black Magic Cinema Camera as opposed to an EX3.  I can't wait to get my CF cards so I can test this thing with my Anamorphic lens. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to add another Anamorphic stretch ratio like 1.75x?

To me the beauty of RAW on the 50D is the low entry price and high quality.  I think it's more of an indie film making tool than ENG type tool.  I wouldn't choose it over my other cameras for shooting a long event like a concert, tho you could.  I think this is more like a Black Magic Cinema Camera as opposed to an EX3.  I can't wait to get my CF cards so I can test this thing with my Anamorphic lens. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to add another Anamorphic stretch ratio like 1.75x?

The anamorphic de-squeeze ratios are hard coded in the display filter but I don't think it's too much hassle for a dev to add more if they are really needed.

The anamorphic de-squeeze ratios are hard coded in the display filter but I don't think it's too much hassle for a dev to add more if they are really needed.

Thanks for the info Andy600.  There are an increasing amount of users of ISCO Anamorphic Projection lenses that are listed as 2X but are actually 1.75x.  It would be great if someone added that option.  It may not be necessary.  I'll see when my CF cards get here and I can test.

• Administrators

I'm sure once I have the answer I'll feel like an idiot, but could someone please just tell me - HOW DO I USE CROP MODE TO SHOOT RAW ON THE 50D? Everyone keeps talking about it, and no one actually says how to do it.

This is why we write books :)

Enter magnified focus assist and record whilst it is activated. It is like switching sensor mode.

Enter magnified focus assist and record whilst it is activated. It is like switching sensor mode.

I have your Anamorphic guide, which has helped me immensely, but haven't bought the 5D3 RAW guide yet.  Do you think you'll need to make an addendum for the 50D or is it pretty much the same deal as the 5D3 and I only need that guide to get going with the 50D? 

I must say that I never really was interested in the 50D, but i'm shocked at the build quality of this camera.  It's so far from what i'm used to with my T2i and GH1, which are much smaller and cheaply made.  I have a battery grip on the 50D and i'm gonna have to lift weights to get my wrist strong enough to handle it :D   The 50D is like a tank.  I only paid $450 for it and it feels like money well spent.  If this works out i'm getting another one.

Here's a video I shot today on the 50D in raw - using it in the most inadequate way as a run-and-gun camera:

https://vimeo.com/70259256

I got a lot of glitches in the material: sequences flickering between two alternate images, flickering color hotspots, decoding errors. However, given my subject, I decided to simply embrace them and partly use them in the final edit.

Technical specs/workflow: 50D with Sigma 30mm/1.4, simple shoulder mount + ND filter at ISO 100 & f5.6, MagicLantern 50d raw recording patch from 11th July (GregoryOfManhattan repository), recording resolution 1472x796@24fps, two Sandisk 60MB/s cards. Transcoding with RawMagic beta 7, DNG grading & rendering to ProRes with Resolve Lite 9.1.5, editing + occasional extra color corrections with Adobe Premiere CC, final color/grain treatment with FilmConvert.

Kermis Best 2013

http://youtu.be/2Hc1pqOHKsc

Camera: Canon 50D with Kowa 8Z anamorphic lens
Recording: RAW recording using magic lantern June 28 build
Workflow: RawMagic - ACR - FCP-X
Original DNG resolution: 1344 x 1058 color depth 14Bit
Kowa Anamorphic ratio is 2:1, so after conversion resolution will be 2688 x 1058
Sound: Zoom H2N 4 channel surround

http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2200_00236.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2224_00341.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2225_00594.jpg
http://www.gerstel.org/images/canon/M06-2244_00057.jpg

Thanks - I take it you mean the button on the camera? Didn't think of that, was hunting and hunting through the menu. But when I tried it just now liveview only showed the right half of what turned out to be the full frame when I opened it.

Also, I've been having huge inconsistency in how long I can record. I have a Transcend 16gb 1000x card. Last night I was doing raw clips that went on for 30 seconds plus before I stopped them - they seemed ready to go on much longer. Now this morning I'm getting 5-6 seconds. Only differences are the lens, the fact that I'm using crop mode, and that I'd deleted last night's clips. Oh, plus the battery was really low, maybe it was responding to that?

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks - I take it you mean the button on the camera? Didn't think of that, was hunting and hunting through the menu. But when I tried it just now liveview only showed the right half of what turned out to be the full frame when I opened it.

Also, I've been having huge inconsistency in how long I can record. I have a Transcend 16gb 1000x card. Last night I was doing raw clips that went on for 30 seconds plus before I stopped them - they seemed ready to go on much longer. Now this morning I'm getting 5-6 seconds. Only differences are the lens, the fact that I'm using crop mode, and that I'd deleted last night's clips. Oh, plus the battery was really low, maybe it was responding to that?

Thanks again for the help!

Ok, partly answered my own questions - it's crop mode that cuts the time off the footage. But why?

Ok, partly answered my own questions - it's crop mode that cuts the time off the footage. But why?

When you zoom into cropmode it will record at 1920x1080, you need a faster card, the 16gb version seems to be slower than the 32 and 64gb ones.

You can try 3 things: Do a low level format with the transcent formatting tool, activate small hacks in the raw module, reduce resolution in the raw module.

Got 2 Komputerbay 32GB 1000x cards but one is dead.  The other is working and getting up around 82MB/s as the test stated.  Very pleased so far.  It was fairly easy to load it up.  I had my son help me since he had loaded ML on his T2i long ago.  Weather has been bad so I haven't really shot anything, besides it's gonna take me time to figure out all of this ML added features.  It's a bit daunting how much new and very technical information there is.

My main purpose for getting the 50D is the ability to use the different aspect ratios and in particular so that I can use my 2x Anamorphic.  I'm a newbie and I have a long way to go in terms of learning how to shoot.  However i'm excited by this development.  Once I learn how to not only shoot but also how to process the footage.  I loaded Tragic Lantern 2.0 and for the most part I got it working, I couldn't figure out how to set it so that the Anamorphic Stretch Display Filter could desqueeze the shot on the screen.

Got 2 Komputerbay 32GB 1000x cards but one is dead.  The other is working and getting up around 82MB/s as the test stated.  Very pleased so far.  It was fairly easy to load it up.  I had my son help me since he had loaded ML on his T2i long ago.  Weather has been bad so I haven't really shot anything, besides it's gonna take me time to figure out all of this ML added features.  It's a bit daunting how much new and very technical information there is.

My main purpose for getting the 50D is the ability to use the different aspect ratios and in particular so that I can use my 2x Anamorphic.  I'm a newbie and I have a long way to go in terms of learning how to shoot.  However i'm excited by this development.  Once I learn how to not only shoot but also how to process the footage.  I loaded Tragic Lantern 2.0 and for the most part I got it working, I couldn't figure out how to set it so that the Anamorphic Stretch Display Filter could desqueeze the shot on the screen.

Dont mind the pic from the camera phone 

http://imgur.com/MlrkNXw