BlackMagic Micro Cinema Update?

mercer

Yes, I've combined both. I also feel like I've read that Pro Res is a bit less prone to moire than RAW. It's pretty bad in RAW on wider architecture shots. I'm used to shooting with the GH2/GH4, so having to account for moire all of a sudden is annoying. Don't know if that's a fact, though.

Yes, always ISO 800 with pro res. Maximum amount of dynamic range, according to this: http://www.similaar.com/foto/pocket-dr/bmpcc.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the tips. I just got my micro two weeks ago and have already jumped into a short with it. When I first bought it, I was sold on ProRes, but then after testing Raw, I thought the IQ was better, now after using resolve for the past day, I may switch back to ProRes. I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this but holy shit resolve is the most convoluted piece of editing software I have ever used, especially since FCPX is so straight forward and simple in design. But that Raw image does look nice... But as I said I have to do a side by side to decide if it's that much nicer. 

18 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks for the tips. I just got my micro two weeks ago and have already jumped into a short with it. When I first bought it, I was sold on ProRes, but then after testing Raw, I thought the IQ was better, now after using resolve for the past day, I may switch back to ProRes. I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this but holy shit resolve is the most convoluted piece of editing software I have ever used, especially since FCPX is so straight forward and simple in design. But that Raw image does look nice... But as I said I have to do a side by side to decide if it's that much nicer. 

Shoot RAW and then just color it in DaVinci and export as ProRes 422 (HQ) before editing in your choice of NLE. I usually do an edit in premiere (which takes DNG), xml to DaVinci for color, render as ProRes and then back into my NLE.

1 hour ago, Turboguard said:

Shoot RAW and then just color it in DaVinci and export as ProRes 422 (HQ) before editing in your choice of NLE. I usually do an edit in premiere (which takes DNG), xml to DaVinci for color, render as ProRes and then back into my NLE.

Thanks, but I also found the color options, or should I say... The way it handles color, to be a little more complicated than I am used to. Yesterday, I brought the Raw files into Resolve, tweaked some of the Raw settings, and then exported to ProRes XQ. I still think the image is better than shooting ProRes HQ natively, but I need to do a test to see how much better and if the extra steps and time is worth it.

Honestly, if you ever get the chance to use FCPX with Color Finale you will see what a joy it is to color with.