The best wide angle lenses for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/blackmagic-wide-lenses.jpg[/img]

French rental house tries lenses on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera - [url="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.398258513557700.106898.118532781530276&type=1"]La Blackmagic Camera passe chez PhotoCineRent[/url]

Here I have rounded up all the lenses I have in mind for achiving a wide angle on the 2.3x crop sensor of the Blackmagic camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Nice topic. I think the 15mm, 25mm and 35mm f2.8 contax zeiss distagons would be a nice 3 lens set for the bmc camera too. granted the 15mm costs almost as much as the camera, but hopefully the hire companies will acquire such lenses with intention of hiring as a set specifically as a cost effective set for the bmc.

• Administrators
[quote name='itimjim' timestamp='1346352008' post='16992']
Andrew. Based on the LA7200's performance at both wide apertures and the edges, I'd possibly might be careful about recommending it until there are some results out there.
[/quote]

It depends on what size sensor and what lens you're using it on. The LA7200 was originally designed for the DVX100. I've long been using the LA7200 on a 2x crop sensor (well 1.86x on the GH2). I love the look of this anamorphic. Yes the performance drops off at the edges with a very wide focal length on this lens but it is one of a kind. A unique anamorphic because it covers the wider focal lengths.

• Administrators
By the way this article only deals with the 2.3x crop, if you put the 8-16mm Sigma on an FS100 for example you will get plenty of distortion at the edges on the larger sensor. The centre is always the sweet spot of any lens in terms of distortion.

Samyang now sells cine versions of their lenses, with declicked apertures and follow focus gears. Glass quality is exactly the same though, but it is a nice gesture from them to our community.

It's a bit of a shame that we can't use 16mm cine lenses with this cinema camera really. Well, we can use 35mm (expensive) EF cine lenses but that kind of defeats the purpose of a $3k camera!

One of the reasons film usually looks so good is that a film camera package always comes with proper cine lenses, you don't see anyone shooting 16mm or 35mm with cheap stills lenses, and in this specific aspect the Digital Bolex has a huge advantage, since not only the sensor is 16mm sized, but it will have a more adaptable c-mount (and other mount options later on).

At the moment you can still find amazing 16mm lenses on eBay for great prices (lenses that used to cost over 5 grand), it's a shame we can't use them with the BMD camera.

I can already imagine some companies offering mount conversion services for the BMD camera for a thousand bucks or more :)