The new Sony FS5

Antonis

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I've yet to have any client ever demand a specific camera unless it's something high end, certainly I've never had one ask for "Canon colour" but your mileage may vary. Once I had one want a 5D 

• lack of waveform mentioned above, that's news to me!? I 
  • Sony menus are always pigs.

Yes for some reason the only camera request I constantly have to this day is Canon DSLRs. That's why I have a couple at all times no matter what. 

FS5: The menus are not nearly as pig as the FS7, they are actually quite good, the kind of UI you can get used to by fiddling for one or two days at home, not 5 minutes as a Canon C but in the end it doesn't make a difference, we don't take camera out on shoots straight away (bad move)

Waveform, I don't know that one but it'd be annoying, perhaps it's assumed to be a feature so not mentioned, like they don't mention peaking for example. They're probably there. 

Anyhow I can work around all these, I love the form and media and power, image quality just needs to be a clean looking 4K image. I strongly wish it will not contain so much compression artefacts as oliver explained (Thanks!) as it would really make it a 1080p camera for me, and in that case I'll take the C100II which I like more as an overall 4k->HD  internal image and colours and the body design plus the LCD placement and PDAF and the insane lowlight performance, my lovely EF mount, side perfect DSLR grip, C-LOG gamma is also an absolute joy vs S-LOG, and WDR is amazing, it almost gives me what I want my final gamma/curve to look like in-camera 100% precisely and I just do the colour tweaks and done. The FS5 also has no real advantage is slowmoition they both top out at 60P in acceptable standard quality, with an added low qualty/aliased/SD-ish 240p burst for a few seconds, something I wouldn't consider for real slow motion work. So only continuous 60p top at full quality in 1080p with both. 

So, it's either FS5 with good looking 4K for a future proof solution and cropping, or a C100II for perfect 1080p to use until I need 4K delivery here someday (not in years)

You know what would be perfect? a C100II with a clean 4K mode and higher fps (120) or an FS7 in an FS5 body (Clean 4K of FS7 and not'great-but-good l-looking 120-180fps). But perhaps implementing these FS7 features do actually require larger components and larger body, at least the processor and the XQD meda pipeline vs SDs. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The FS5 also has no real advantage is slowmoition they both top out at 60P in acceptable standard quality, with an added low qualty/aliased/SD-ish 240p burst for a few seconds, something I wouldn't consider for real slow motion work. So only continuous 60p top at full quality in 1080p with both. 

I am curious why you say the 240fps of the FS5 is "low quality/SD-ish"?

I was hoping it to be a step up from the FS700 slo-mo tbh.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am curious why you say the 240fps of the FS5 is "low quality/SD-ish"?
I was hoping it to be a step up from the FS700 slo-mo tbh.

They say 240p quality is the same as the FS700 internal (not bad really, soft-ish, some aliasing here and there, but good enough especially in shallow DOF/close-up shots versus wide detailed scene that show softness and aliasing. Anyhow it's a great feature and I bet I'll impress many client with it, it's fine

External-wise, The FS700 will still have the advantage of 4K 60p, and 4K 120p, and we still don't know if the FS5 will get the 2K 240p continous raw/prores that's on the FS700/FS7, it might very well not have it.

I don't think it will be a ''step up from the FS700 slo-mo'' but actually likely a step down.

Has anyone found any shootouts/evidence of the Sony FS7/5's sensor producing 15 stops of dynamic range vs Canon c100's 12 stops?

I'd like to see that too. The official number is 14 stops on the Sonys (fs700, fs5, fs7, f5, f55, f65) and 12 stops on the Canons (c100/300/c100II).

So two full stops in the shadows or highlights, huge gain. Should be extremely obvious if true.