anti moire filter yes or no

enny

Hi guy i have bmpcc i have some cash should i get anti moire filter from Mosaic Engineering is filming outside or i can avoid the moire for example i have project being shoot in the forest any problem there? i also hear it does not work with wide angle lenses do you guy use one?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's hardly a risk in a natural environment, I'd say. You're more likely to come across issues in urban environments with a lot of lines intersecting. Usually man made stuff. For example, where I live streetlights are connected by powerlines. When they intersect with a building behind it with a lot of patterns/lines in a grid fashion, even with your bare eye you see moiré. In the forest there's a lot of trees of course, which you could consider lines, but they hardly really interesct in a moiré inducing way and have organic shapes, again contributing to the fact moiré is rather unlikely to appear. I'd be more worried if you're using talent, that they not wear clothing that could induce it. Don't think there's a real need for such a filter. Just avoid the likelyhood of it appearing and be aware about it. My 2 cts.

It's hardly a risk in a natural environment, I'd say. You're more likely to come across issues in urban environments with a lot of lines intersecting. Usually man made stuff. For example, where I live streetlights are connected by powerlines. When they intersect with a building behind it with a lot of patterns/lines in a grid fashion, even with your bare eye you see moiré. In the forest there's a lot of trees of course, which you could consider lines, but they hardly really interesct in a moiré inducing way and have organic shapes, again contributing to the fact moiré is rather unlikely to appear. I'd be more worried if you're using talent, that they not wear clothing that could induce it. Don't think there's a real need for such a filter. Just avoid the likelyhood of it appearing and be aware about it. My 2 cts.

The first time I ever recognized aliasing was after reviewing footage from a shoot in the woods. It was fall/winter so the trees were bare and the branches were aliasing heavily. To be fair, we were shooting 720p60 on footage on the 6D, so there probably would have been aliasing on a white wall, but it can happen out in nature. Still, it's a lot less likely than when you're surrounded by power lines and brick walls. 

The first time I ever recognized aliasing was after reviewing footage from a shoot in the woods. It was fall/winter so the trees were bare and the branches were aliasing heavily. To be fair, we were shooting 720p60 on footage on the 6D, so there probably would have been aliasing on a white wall, but it can happen out in nature. Still, it's a lot less likely than when you're surrounded by power lines and brick walls. 

Yeah, of course it depends. If you're far away of trees, they suddenly become very thin lines as well. Or getting detailed shots with narrow aperture of branches, or perhaps some bushes. But if you're filming some kind of horror chase scene in the woods, or following talent for a music video in nature, mostly on eye level, you're probably dealing more with rolling shutter than moiré/aliasing. You're probably focussing on the talent, with not such an incredible deep depth of field and rather up close, where trees aren't thin lines, just big chucks of wood. In such cases, it's probably hardly a struggle.

Then again, if you're shooting some documentary footage in nature and rather go with that deep depth of field and sharp look, with lots of wide detailed landscape shots, then it might get tricky. Add that you will probably use it in urban environments as well and don't want another thing to crowd your mind to keep in check, then... well, maybe. Personally though, I'd rather try to avoid it than getting the filter. You could buy a nice vintage lens for that kind of money is what comes to my mind, you know.

Get it.

LOL Simple but the best advice in two words!

Other than Mosaic offer for those cameras they cover, here's another route for those cameras they don't cover with their offer:

http://www.caprockdev.com/antimoire.htm

Here is (Uwe is not with us anymore but he was among the few number of helpful contributors who posted some tests still available on Vimeo) :

https://vimeo.com/search?q=caprock+filter

E :-)